Older Born Free color change paint job?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Wildlands1

Older Born Free color change paint job?

Post by Wildlands1 »

I just bought a 2004 26'. I'm pondering if I should do a "lazy daze" type 2 tone paint job on it. Like a copper orange-brown color all around the lower third with a few stripe sections up high. But how is it painting (urethane I guess) over the factory gelcoat? Sounds like a lot of work but I hate looking like everybody else. ???
JeffatJacks

Re: Older Born Free color change paint job?

Post by JeffatJacks »

You are correct. It will be a lot of work. Painting over the Gel coat is not a problem, the factory did full body paint over the gel coat. The time spent with removing trim, moldings, lamps, latches, etc will make the job stand out versus trying to mask around things.

When you get the body painted and looking good it might make some other items look older and in need of attention.

Wishing you luck on your potential project. Would love to see it when it gets done.
2004 Born Free 26 RB
Towing a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
stevek

Post by stevek »

I question the cost? Has to be a lot.
Anybody have any idea how many thousands of dollars is going to cost?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

We have an old, 26 year old, that we bought this October. To sharpen it a bit we bought turquoise and gold striping stick on striping material. In a day you can do the whole rig. It makes it really pop compared to the old stripes, not expensive and do it your self. We've Traveled with the new stripes for 5000 miles with no issues.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
whemme

Post by whemme »

My may be wrong but as I recall the Born Free factory charged a premium of $10,000 for the full body paint option.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”