Dead Outlet

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Pete1122

Dead Outlet

Post by Pete1122 »

Hey guys, new owner of a 2006 Born Free RSB here. All of my 110 Volt outlets work when plugged in except my back bedroom outlet above my TV situated in an overhead storage compartment. All my breakers are fine and fuses check out, any ideas?

Mike
2006 Born Free RSB
Mike Jean Bandfield

Re: Dead Outlet

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Mike,
In my 2005 RSB that OEM outlet is wired to the GFCI breaker labeled 'Outlets' - as you'd expect. It's very likely a previous owner chose to wire this particular outlet to an after market inverter. Is there an inverter that wasn't turned on when you checked? Is there clues that an inverter has been removed?

Does the AC outlet in the TV cabinet on the other side of the refrigerator work ok? (Seems logical that they might have wired both TV outlets the same way.) I'm guessing the wiring for these were routed alongside the the roll bar that crosses the ceiling in that area.

Assuming you have a VOM meter and can safely use it to check voltage and continuity, remove and check the outlet for proper connections and continuity. With the outlet pulled away from the wall begin looking for where the wire is routed from.

Look behind the distribution panel for clues to previous changes to the wiring. Hope this gives you some clues. - Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Pete1122

Post by Pete1122 »

Thanks for the tips, there is no evidence that this outlet was ever hooked up to an inverter, and all the other outlets on that circuit work. I unscrewed the outlet and all the wires appear good. My only other thought is that the outlet is bad, I'll try replacing it asap.
2006 Born Free RSB
whemme

Post by whemme »

It may be that the hookup to the outlet at the other end may be disconnected for some reason - that connection should be somewhere behinds the AC circuit breakers in your power panel.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

I replaced my Panel/Converter. When I replaced it I eliminated the GFI because I've always found them a pain in RVs. However if only one outlet is down I would check the wiring.

I found a number of ganged wires, both at the breaker (the hot side) and and on the white side (return side). It is easy to have a poor connection; there's a lot of vibration in an RV.

At least in my case I found the wiring of our existing panel a jungle and poorly done (it was 26 years old). By replacing it I ended up with more breakers allowing an individual breaker for each circuit. I also eliminated all cases where wires were twisted together.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”