Dead Xantrex 400

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

4running

Dead Xantrex 400

Post by 4running »

Hi,
On our last trip none of the inverter outlets were working. I checked the inverter under the bathroom vanity and saw that it was powered on, and the breaker was good. Now i cannot reset the GFI on the front because the gfi has no power. I am not sure whether to send this 400w unit out for repair or buy new.

If I buy new what model do you advise to keep the install simple?
tomzleapin

Re: Dead Xantrex 400

Post by tomzleapin »

First make sure the inverter is dead by plugging something directly into it. Repairing a 400 watt inverter would undoubtedly cost more than a new one. There are basically two types of inverters, modified sine wave (MSW) and pure sine wave (PSW). MSW is the cheaper of the two and typically costs less than $40. Most things will operate fine on MSW. PSW will cost a bunch more but it will power any device within the watt rating. I use a Go Power 300 watt PSW inverter that has served me well. It cost me $175. A Go Power MSW 300 watt is only $26. My previous inverter was a Schumacher 410 watt MSW. It worked well, but the fan would cycle on and off even under light loads. It drove me nuts. The fan on my Go Power seldom comes on.

I would suggest going on Amazon and check user reviews for inverters. If your present inverter is MSW and it has served you well, you might as well get another MSW one. If you want complete peace of mind, you might want to upgrade to PSW.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
KevinVT

Re: Dead Xantrex 400

Post by KevinVT »

Hi,

I recently installed a 2000W Power Tech On inverter for $250 and I am very happy with it. I know it might be overkill - but I also wired it to all my outlets.

Here is the Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/Power-TechOn-Inv ... way&sr=8-5

But you should note larger inverters are bigger in size and as such you need to make sure you wires to the batteries and any inline fuses are all sized correctly. Don't just hook up a larger inverter to existing wires. I had to rewire everything to get this correct.

Here is a fun comparison image of our 2000W on the left and the original 300W Cobra on the right.

For that reason, maybe finding something that is another 400W is the simplest solution because you most likely can use your existing wires. I would confirm the inverter is the issue first as well.

There are lots on Amazon, I would get a Pure Sine Wave as well.
--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”