Very sick 1999 24RB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tanksalot

Very sick 1999 24RB

Post by tanksalot »

Chasing misfire errors, I finally had all the coils changed to new Motorcraft. Still cyl. 4 misfire. Mechanic pulled plug and it was all oily and not grey at all. He checked cylinder pressure and got 70 psi. He says it HAS to be addressed.
We LIVE in this, and need dependabilty. Cost options? sell for a newer one. I hate to sell it knowing it has issues. I've also put a lot of technology into it and don't want to start over.
Recommendations for a good mechanic? We're in CA but will drive to get someone who cares.

Thanks in advance.
Dallas Baillio

Re: Very sick 1999 24RB

Post by Dallas Baillio »

These are listed on this web site. Don’t know a thing about any of them.

https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... m.php?f=37

I expect others will have suggestions. I have a good mechanic but I am really far from you.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Ok here are some questions... pick the low-hanging fruit first in troubleshooting. So you have new coils, is the wiring good to #4? It could be as simple as a bad plug. Did he replace #4's plug? is the ECU throwing any codes?
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
tanksalot

Post by tanksalot »

New plug on #4. Got misfire error on #4 (and sometimes #8) almost right away. Also sometimes getting a "system too lean bank 1" error. I have a Bluetooth scanner so I can monitor the engine performance from my phone.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”