hot wires near circuit breakers

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Blunt2005

hot wires near circuit breakers

Post by Blunt2005 »

some of the wires next to the circuit breakers are getting too hot- over 180°F. I have the Parallax Power Components Model 7345 converter charger 45 amp in my 2005 26" RSB. The wires are hottest close to where they're crewed in. All the screws appear to be tight. The wires seem to get the hottest when running the coach A/C while using the generator or hooked up to shore power. The breakers themselves have not tripped and don’t get too hot. The house batteries are new and seem to work fine. The problem started before I replaced the house batteries. A photo of the noted area is attached. This is my first post on the forum, so please forgive me for leaving out other pertinent details. Thank you.
Attachments
wires_7_2023.jpeg
wires_7_2023.jpeg (56.44 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Byron
2005 26' RSB
Cape Cod, MA
whemme

Re: hot wires near circuit breakers

Post by whemme »

Are you sure that the combination 30/30 amp circuit breaker is not getting hot. Check by carefully touching the body of that breaker. If it is hot, replace that breaker. Also use a screw driver to tighten those screws near the wires that are discolored from getting too hot.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Blunt2005

Post by Blunt2005 »

Bill, thanks for the fast reply. I checked the 30/30 breaker first (based on a previous post of yours actually) but is seems fine. I spoke to an electrician on the phone and he wonders if there may be a connection issue or "pinch point" somewhere else in the coach that is causing the problem. I am curious if anyone else has ever encountered something similar. Byron
Byron
2005 26' RSB
Cape Cod, MA
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

I don't know what changed in the later models, but I see a difference in breaker values.

Your 2005 has values (left to right):
30-30-20-20-20

My 1999 has these values:
30-20-20-20-20

You might want to check the wire gauge size going to your 30-amp breakers. If either are 12ga wire, they should be on a 20-amp breaker. While you're in there, you might want to refresh and tighten all of the ground and white wire connections.
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
Blunt2005

Post by Blunt2005 »

Thanks for the tips Chuck.
Byron
2005 26' RSB
Cape Cod, MA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”