Rear View Camera options

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ScotManG

Rear View Camera options

Post by ScotManG »

Hi,

We have the Convoy Technologies C1000W "backup camera" installed as the original on our 2013 BF 27RSB. It works through the original Sony media player in the dash (only when in reverse -- and the night vision part is "going bad" -- but works in daylight). We are considering adding a flat tow setup to our Born Free and want to know how best you all (that have done this) replaced or added a new rear-view camera setup to your Born Free rig. I'm obviously very leary about drilling new holes in the fiberglass mainly because I am lacking in any tool skills. Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences, etc. would be most helpful. Recommendations on products too. Hope this makes sense. Provided a couple of pictures.

Thanks in advance,
Scott and Denise
Attachments
IMG_0779.JPEG
IMG_0779.JPEG (89.58 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
IMG_0773.JPEG
IMG_0773.JPEG (70.21 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
South central Pennsylvania
2013 Born Free 27 RSB
tomzleapin

Re: Rear View Camera options

Post by tomzleapin »

Earlier this year I installed a wireless "DoHonest RV Backup Camera". Not totally wireless because it does need power. I wired power to the nearest clearance light so it's on whenever lights are on. The monitor plugs into a cigarette lighter socket. It works perfectly.

Purchased from Amazon for about $100.
Amazon DoHonest RV Backup Camera link

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
perleys

Post by perleys »

I had to have my camera replaced on my 2004 26RSB. It was done at a service center. He used the power cord from old camera and dropped the cable for the monitor some how down below the chassis and ran it up to the front and came through the engine compartement so he could hook the new cable to my monitor. So he didn't have to fish the new cable throughout the the whole body of the BF like the original install. Probably if I had to do over I would probably should have considered some of the newer wireless systems.
ScotManG

Post by ScotManG »

Thank you both for your replies! We are going to go with wireless and I can report back on what we buy and how well it went. Thank you!
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
2013 Born Free 27 RSB
ScotManG

Post by ScotManG »

Just a quick update and thank you to the responses. My wife also posted the same question on the Facebook Born Free forum. Another wireless camera was suggested there: Type S wireless backup camera which is also solar powered. One we bought is the 6.8" widescreen HD monitor with camera built into the license plate frame. We installed it today and it works well. We will see when we get back on the road! Again, just wanted to update everyone on what we bought. If there are any significant issues, I'll add to this thread.

URL to one we bought: https://typesauto.com/products/type-s-w ... nt=product
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
2013 Born Free 27 RSB
perleys

Post by perleys »

I will look forward to learning what you think about it. I have always wanted the extra license plate type camera as well!
ScotManG

Post by ScotManG »

Well... quick [final?] update since we have used the TYpeS backup camera now a few times on trips. All in the day light (no night driving/parking yet). So far, we like it. Given it is wireless, it takes a second to come on (small delay when activated) and immediately goes "bright" (washout) and then settles into a good picture. It has the cool "wave your hand" feature in front of the monitor to activate it or you can just touch the screen. Good to have when you have someone tailgating you or you are towing or you want to verify the pass you just made to return to your original lane. It is good supplemental system (is how we use it). Especially given it has NO wires to install and is solar charged (at the license plate frame camera). Only wish our 2013 BF 27RSB had put the license plate on the other side of the rear end as our TypeS camera is "behind" the ladder (so that shows up right in the middle of the monitor - but we can still use the camera). Hope that helps. If it goes bad or we have anything else to offer in the future, will update this thread. Hope this helps others.
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
2013 Born Free 27 RSB
perleys

Post by perleys »

I was great to hear your update and that the backup camera is working well. Cameras have been on my mind lately. I just replaced my Garmin that had a built in Dash Cam with a new RV Garmin 895. So, I no longer have a dash cam. They have integrated back up cameras you can buy. I am wondering if I could use one of those as a dash cam. I don’t really want another set of wires and another item hanging in my windshield!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”