Counter Top Upgrade

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

KevinVT

Counter Top Upgrade

Post by KevinVT »

Hey folks,

I recognize that everyone has their own style about what they like and don't like. We recently bought a 2001 24RB with 42,000 miles but did not find the counter top color to be as warm as our 2003 24RB. We considered changing out the counter tops but that is a lot of work and expensive. In our home we have had great success resurfacing laminate counter tops with several products. The one in our kitchen we liked the best is call Daich Spreadstone:

http://www.daichstore.com/Daich-SpreadS ... _p_13.html

The color we used was Oyster

There are videos on the process - but in general -

1) Based color 2 coats,
2) Stone color - has stone chips, 2 coats
3) Sand to your desired liking
4) Seal - 2 coats.

I did the bathroom, kitchen, table by captains chairs and the surface under the TV. I also when up the wall to the left of the kitchen and did the two boxes on the back right and left corner in the kitchen.

I won't outline all the yummy details here (like using Q-Tips to keep the edges of the counters clean), but I am happy to share insights if folks what to learn more about the project and my process. Here are some fun before, progress, after images. I also took the opportunity to update the sink and faucet in the bathroom. The new sink is slightly larger and I need to modify the opening and the drain placement as seen in the images - but is was well worth the effort. These are great upgrades that are also inexpensive - about $24 for a sink and $15 for a faucet.

Enjoy:

We were looking at some Home Depot sample counters as we considered maybe having custom counters created.

--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)
Dave Rotelle

Re: Counter Top Upgrade

Post by Dave Rotelle »

Looks great Kevin you did an excellent job looks like it was a fun project!
My daughter and I were just in Shelburne a couple weeks ago, it was the Friday before Shelburne had their fall festival. Beautiful weather and the leaves were just starting to change color.

Dave
2013 Freedom Front Lounge.
Purchased November 2017.
perleys

Post by perleys »

That looks just super, good job! Did you have any trouble putting back the plexiglass frame/splash guard to the right of the kitchen sink? My screw from the wood trim on the wall keeps pulling out. I can't feel that it is screwed into anything back there?
Sandy
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Hey Dave,

Did you come through Shelburne in your Born Free? I saw one in town one Friday about a week ago :-)

Sandy,

The back splash wasn't an issue, but that square box that the plexiglass frame is attached too is just a blank box. It is held to the back by 2 long screws - and these screws go into the roll bar. If you remove the box (as I did) you have to make sure you line it up just right so the two main screws catch into the holes in the metal roll bar. This is similar to the box over the kitchen to living room transition overhead. This is held up to the ceiling also by two screws that go into the roll bar. So again, it can be tricky to get them caught into the metal sometimes. I have remove this a few time to run wires up and over to the TV area.

If your plexiglass frame screws are pulling out then maybe the holes in the box are stripped - since there is nothing but space back there it makes sense they wouldn't hold if the hole if shot. I might recommend just getting a slightly larger diameter screw and trying that. Although I tend to try and reuse all the original screws sometime they are in rough shape (if exposed to a lot of water/moisture). When I had my frame off I sanded it down and re-stained it as well to give it a face lift. If you don't mind the look of sliver - a decent stainless steel screw that is a little thicker and a washer might do the trick and won't rust :-)

Good luck!
--Kevin

perleys

Post by perleys »

Thanks I will need to work on it. I had a major repair done and I am guessing they didn't line it back up to the roll bar when they re-installed it.
Margie & Lee

Post by Margie & Lee »

That looks very well done. What kind of base and sealant did you use?
Lee Callender and Margie Young
Happy Owners of a '91 26' BF President
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Hi,

The product is called Daich Spreadstone, it is a full kits with base, and sealant:

http://www.daichstore.com/Daich-SpreadS ... _p_13.html

The color we used was Oyster.

Best,
--Kevin

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”