Seeking Advice on Traveling South via Interstate 81

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BobM

Seeking Advice on Traveling South via Interstate 81

Post by BobM »

I will be driving my 26RSB with toad in tow to Georgia within three weeks. My question to the group is in regard to traveling on Interstate 81 then connecting to Interstate 85 and finally to Interstate 75. Usually the route I take is via Interstate 95. I am hoping to minimize congested traffic areas such as around Baltimore, Washington DC and the Richmond area. Any thoughts from the group regarding the drivability and safety of the I81, I85, and I75 route versus I 95? Any advice would be appreciated.
bill crommett

I--85

Post by bill crommett »

We live close to I - 85 and avoid it when we can. There seems to be an inordinate number of accidents around the Greenville, SC area.
Then again, it will depend on which way you intend to go on I - 75 .
Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

Traveling south on I-81

Post by Tom and Jennifer Pierpan »

Hi Bob. Having lived and worked in the Tampa Bay area for 12 years before retiring and moving to Maine, I can tell you that Jennifer and I experimented with all the different ways to get from Fla. back home to New England.

We finally settled on the following, which while not the shortest, was definitely the most relaxing for us. We've even done this twice in the Born Free. We took I-84 out of Ct., stayed on it until Scranton, then picked up I-81 south. Stay on I-81 through Lexington-Roanoke-Blacksburg-Radford-Pulaski. Just south of Pulaski, we picked up I-77 south. There is quite a climb for about 10-15 miles, followed by a scenic descent of 10 miles. We stayed on I-77 through Charlotte, NC, and then in Columbia, SC, I-77 ends and we picked up I-26 south which got us back to I-95 south. When our youngest son was at Washington and Lee in Lexington, VA, we tried the I-85 way you mention, and found that it took longer than going the way I just described.

Because you are going to GA, you might want to try getting off I-81 onto I-26 to I-85, which will cut out the I-85 portion between Charlotte and the junction of I-26 with I-85. I agree that I-85 is not a pleasant road to drive, which is why we looked for an alternative that still kept us off I-95.

On other thing, I recommend staying off the I-78 stretch between New Jersey and Harrisburg, PA. Although this will also get you to I-81, there is still a very rough stretch of pavement for about 10 miles. We experienced this last summer on our way home from Virginia. Most of the other rough parts of I-78 have been fixed, but this one still remains.

Enjoy the trip!
Tom
jhillis625

Post by jhillis625 »

Bob, I-81 is my perferred route to skirt the Washington, Baltimore and New York City areas. We sometimes we vary it some, isn't that what Bornfree's are best at. javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing
Jim Hillis
John S.

I 81

Post by John S. »

take I 81 it is much better but if it is supppose to snow then it will have a greater chance of the white stuff. I am sitting in a truckstop right now after taking I 81 south form the top of VA. I would second the I77 to 2y6 route. If you have to go inland sooner take I 81 to I 66 exit 300 in VA and go to exit 28 and take 17 south. Watch it in opel as it will take a right at the light and in the warrenton area take the bypass and it will dump you out on I 95 just north of Fredericksburg about mile marker 133 or so. You can still hit richmond traffic if you go there during rush hour but you will be fine any other time.
Judy Madnick

Re: Traveling south on I-81

Post by Judy Madnick »

Tom and Jennifer Pierpan wrote:We took I-84 out of Ct., stayed on it until Scranton, then picked up I-81 south. Stay on I-81 through Lexington-Roanoke-Blacksburg-Radford-Pulaski. Just south of Pulaski, we picked up I-77 south. There is quite a climb for about 10-15 miles, followed by a scenic descent of 10 miles. We stayed on I-77 through Charlotte, NC, and then in Columbia, SC, I-77 ends and we picked up I-26 south which got us back to I-95 south.
We picked up I-84 in Newburgh (coming from Albany) and used your route in a 33' Sea Breeze in 2001 (overnighting at Flying J's!) and found that to go well. We liked avoiding the toll roads also. :) If "things" work out and we get a 32' BF, we'll surely be using this route again! (We are currently RV-less.)
Brent

Post by Brent »

Bob
I can address the I-75 portion. I live in Tampa, FL and make the trip to Atlanta about once every 6 weeks.

I-75 is a pretty good hwy. Several Flying Js and the GA rest areas have dump stations.

Traffic on I-75 in Florida is pretty heavy especially at night - heavy big truck traffic.

I-475 bypasses Macon, GA and picks back up on I-75 again. Definitely take it - less miles and congestion.

Have a safe trip.

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”