Replacement Generator and battery shroud needed

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CowtownCamper

Replacement Generator and battery shroud needed

Post by CowtownCamper »

Last week, while headed to the Davis Mountains in far far west Texas, around 10:00PM I came upon a large dead wild pig laying in my lane.
I almost missed it but hit it with the left front tire on my 2002 26RSB. The result, other than a splatter from a bad zombie move all over the tow car, was damage to the fiberglass shroud over my generator and battery compartment, a broken fuel line to the generator and a cracked dump valve. We would have been far worse off if the same thing had happened in a passenger car. The trip was still successful in spite of the set back, we are home now and trying to make our baby whole again.

I have sourced the replacement valve for the dump tanks (Valterra T80B) and can easily repair the generator fuel line, but locating the fiberglass body panels to replace the damaged section is proving to be difficult.

Does any one know where the fiberglass shroud and doors for the generator and battery compartment can be found?
Thank you for your help!
Attachments
2002 26RSB Generator Shroud
2002 26RSB Generator Shroud
generator cover.jpg (3.7 KiB) Viewed 5854 times
Dallas Baillio

Re: Replacement Generator and battery shroud needed

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Back in 2013 I ran off the road in far North Canada and ripped off both the generator door, battery compartment door and the surrounding fiberglass.. I assumed that the only place I could have the damage repaired was at the BF facility in Iowa because they were the only place that would have the fiberglass molds to make a new one. I wasn’t even sure that was possible because BF had changed the design of that area several years before. I called Kim at BF and was relieved to learn that yes, they still had that mold. Made an appointment and had the repair done.

If it happened to me now I suppose all I could do is look for a fiberglass repair place; most likely boat repair since I live on the Gulf of Mexico.

In your photo your damage does not look nearly as severe as what I encountered.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
perleys

Post by perleys »

I am working on the area as well and hope to get a repair shop to "bracket" it up tighter. That whole area has dropped a bit from the body of the coach.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Perleys,

You may have a more serious problem. Here’s a link:

https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... ing#p20679
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
perleys

Post by perleys »

Thank you Dallas, that is exactly what is happening to my old coach. The carpeted wall in the storage under my couch is getting wet. I re-caulked and filled in the gap right above that but it did not stop the leak. Then when I took it out to a new service agent I basically told me all over the coach that my side walls have seperated from the body! Estimate is for $3500 in repairs (mostly labor). But I can't get done until February. If it warms up enough I am going to try to tape a tarp over that area to get through until then. I am just two years away from reitrement and find these obstables very discouraging for sure, Sometimes want to give up but I know it will cost more to do any change in an different RV. The money pit!
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Born Free built their motorhomes and did not attach the fiberglass exterior to the interior wood sidewall. Soon after I bought my BF I noticed a waviness on the left side. I called Kim, and I think I am recalling correctly, he said the idea was to let the fiberglass “float”. I can’t recall why. I’ll make a search. I think it came up in a couple of threads here.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
perleys

Post by perleys »

Thanks Dallas, So where the side joins the top section there is a seam from front to back parallel to the ground. I thought that trim was covering screws underneath that are attached to something?? The same on the seams that run from top to bottom in the front behind the cab and in the close to the back. An finally the seam toward the bottom from to back that is parallel to the ground. What is behind those seams and aren't their screws attaching to something? So I understand that it is not attached from top to bottom against a wall like a lot of campers. But the repair guy is saying those screws have pulled loose in certain areas and that is what he says I need to have repaired. I hope I am asking the questions clearly. Thanks for talking to me about it!
JeffatJacks

Post by JeffatJacks »

To the OP. It is hard to tell from just the one image but I think a repair facility with a competent fiberglass technician should be able to repair the damaged fiberglass. The doors are a bigger challenge but they may be able to fabricate replacements or find some from a salvage source.
2004 Born Free 26 RB
Towing a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
John S.

Post by John S. »

Talk to Xtreme paint and graphics in Nacogdoches Tx. They can fix anything fiberglass and can even make a mold up. They have worked on. Y coaches for years
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”