Easy Solar Panel Mount

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Pete1122

Easy Solar Panel Mount

Post by Pete1122 »

I thought I would share my solar panel mounting, it was super easy and cheap as you don't have to buy any solar mounting equipment, so long as you have the luggage rails. I found a 170 watt solar panel that matched the exact dimensions of the aluminum rails, all I had to do was drill a hole through the rail and a matching hole in the solar frame. Some 2" bolts through the holes and it was done. Two solar panels fill the space perfectly, I plan on fishing the wires through the fridge vent, so no holes will be drilled in the motor home at all. The link to the solar panels are below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MN ... UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Pete1122 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Born Free RSB
tomzleapin

Re: Easy Solar Panel Mount

Post by tomzleapin »

I can't view your images. I suspect they are too large. Photos should be no more than 720 pixels wide.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Pete1122

Post by Pete1122 »

I updated the pictures.
2006 Born Free RSB
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Nice approach, but one issue is that you no longer have a pathway to the front of the roof. I attached a single panel running front to back on the passenger side of the roof rack using hose clamps. This leaves a pathway on the driver side. I have two more panels attached to the side of my coach.

Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
Pete1122

Post by Pete1122 »

Believe it or not but there is enough room to walk on either side of the panels to the front of the roof. I wouldn't say it's super safe, but the pathway is there. Where did you fish your wires through from the sides?
2006 Born Free RSB
stevek

Post by stevek »

Recently at a RV park I talked to a owner of a fairly new Class C. He had traditional solar on the roof, those super thin panels on the side between and above the windows and 2 large thin panels on the OH Bed nose cone. Had a nice flat surface on the OH.
He said he also had portable solar panels. For a total of about 2000 watts.
He had 10ea 12 volt Lithium batteries. And had downsized the AC to run totally off the batteries/solar.
Not sure, but he may have been a full timer. Just him and his dog.
I have been on the road about 6 weeks now. Had not seen one Born Free, but keep looking. :lol:
I carry 3 "thin" portable solar panels with me, but so far have not used. Each one is 100 watts.
I carry them behind sofa bed, against the wall and below the large side window.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Pete1122 wrote:Where did you fish your wires through from the sides?
I mounted a junction box that comes through the side just behind the microwave.

This photo was taken before I mounted the panel on the roof. Those wires are also routed through this box.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
Pete1122

Post by Pete1122 »

Interesting, I never thought of creating an access hole on the side. It would simplify the install as I wouldn’t have to fish the wire under the RV. However I’m always hesitant to make new holes.
2006 Born Free RSB
mgilles0

Post by mgilles0 »

I am considering solar at some point. Can you share about the rest of your setup?
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

Mounting panels to the rack is a great idea. I have one mounted in the front overhead area and want to add a second panel so I think thats where I'll mount it. With only one panel t hth ere I should be able to step over it if I need access to the other side.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Pete1122

Post by Pete1122 »

I really have no problem walking along the sides by the solar panels on the roof, there is enough room to on either side. I recently added another 170 matching panel to the front of the motor home. This gives me a total of 510 watts, all connected to a Victron MPPT 100/30 bluetooth controller.
2006 Born Free RSB
Fritzsbikes

Post by Fritzsbikes »

Tell us about your batteries please.
I tried to look. At your PDF, but all i got is gibberish! IPhone XR.
THANKS.
Liamlunchtray

Post by Liamlunchtray »

Now that you have had this set up for a good amount of time - Any issues? Would there be enough room to mount 3 panels in that location if you used cross bars?
Pete1122

Post by Pete1122 »

So far I have had zero issues with this setup, in fact I have added a third panel to the front of the roof. The picture attached below shows the mount, I could take better pictures if requested.

I currently have two 6volt batteries, if I had room for more batteries I would install them, but I have not needed them.
Attachments
RV Panel.jpg
RV Panel.jpg (62.9 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
2006 Born Free RSB
Rcoon3

Post by Rcoon3 »

Nice setup with the panels on top of the roof rack, keeps most of the original look…very slick!
Rick and Regina Coon
Mr. Bernie 13 yo mixed breed doggie ❤️
2004 Born Free 26RSB casual elegance
Interlachen, FL

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”