How to remove wet bath sink drain (2013 model)

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

M&MAustin

How to remove wet bath sink drain (2013 model)

Post by M&MAustin »

The bathroom sink has become slower and slower to drain over the past few years and I'm pretty sure it's just clogs (hair, soap scum, etc.). I'm sure using Drano or such would not be a good idea, so I tried stuffing baking soda down it and following with vinegar, but the drain access is so tight that I can't get enough down it to really make a difference. Also tried boiling water and that didn't help either.

I can get the trim ring off OK but don't see any way to get the drain out (or even part of it so I can get more baking soda down there). I tried wrenching it out but it doesn't seem to unscrew. Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_2255.jpeg
IMG_2255.jpeg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
Matt & Marie Baker
2013 26' Mobility
cmeadows

Re: How to remove wet bath sink drain (2013 model)

Post by cmeadows »

It looks like it could be a push on-off sink stopper. There is probably crud and corrosion above the o-ring (black o-ring in photo). With the bezel removed as you have it, you might see if you can soak the stopper housing down to the black o-ring with Kroil or PB Blaster. Stick the spray tube between the outside of the stopper assembly and the sink drain. Close the stopper if it still works. You may need to spray with force to displace the water that is likely trapped above the black o-ring. Cover with paper towels to prevent making a mess. Let it set and work a day. Blasting it again every few hours won't hurt and might help displace more water.

Screw the bezel back on and use your fingers to gently rock it side-to-side by pulling up. When you get it removed, there are two small parts that can be easily lost. Put the stopper assembly in a deep tray or coffee can for cleaning. Don't throw away any of the crud, hair or gunk. There is a stainless steel piece of wire with 90 degree bends on the ends. This is a track tracer that makes the stopper work on/off. It is held in the track with an o-ring. The green o-ring in the photo is a replacement that I used after loosing the original.

When you have it ready to install, coat the black o-ring and upper stopper housing with Vaseline. I also coated the green o-ring and tracer wire. Once this is done, you should be able to easily remove the stopper assembly and clean it occasionally. If you keep the top packed with Vaseline, it should keep the water out of that area and prevent corrosion. Good luck!
Attachments
push on-off sink stopper.jpg
push on-off sink stopper.jpg (71.45 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
push on-off sink stopper-2.jpg
push on-off sink stopper-2.jpg (101.64 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
push on-off sink stopper-3.jpg
push on-off sink stopper-3.jpg (113.92 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
M&MAustin

Re: How to remove wet bath sink drain (2013 model)

Post by M&MAustin »

Awesome! Just the info I needed! Thanks so much.
Matt & Marie Baker
2013 26' Mobility

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”