Use floor wax on tires

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Use floor wax on tires

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Instead of a tire cover I used floor wax on my spare and added a wheel cover. Searched online and found that antique and restored vehicle owners use the same for tires on their cars and trucks. Anyone find a factual reason not to do so?
Attachments
EB872415-295F-41FA-AC81-4F19F2EB00D5.jpeg
EB872415-295F-41FA-AC81-4F19F2EB00D5.jpeg (220.66 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
5B27B63D-66AC-425C-AECF-6BA215D02D18.jpeg
5B27B63D-66AC-425C-AECF-6BA215D02D18.jpeg (177.37 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
shilohdad

Re: Use floor wax on tires

Post by shilohdad »

I don’t know any facts one way or the other, but it does make your tire look pretty.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I recall a guy at Auto Zone calling it “Tire Pretty” when I bought some brand of tire shine. Maybe we should call it kumquat to avoid any negative implication.

Shiloh Dad have we exhausted “kumquat?” It comes back to me every time I see one of your posts.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Kumquat is NEVER exhausted.

Over the winter Kumquat is moved onto the front lawn so the snow plow guy does not have to maneuver around him. This is the first year Kumquat has been moved, as until this year Kumquat was our emergency energy source during power outages. We now have a whole house generator, so Kumquat can serenely rest in peace for the winter. Kumquat is back on the driveway now that snow is no longer an issue. Interestingly, here in downstate NY, we never really got snow. We did have one ice storm where snow plow guy turned into salt spreader guy. I guess you don’t have that problem.

On other topics, we are in social isolation, as we are close enough to coronavirus hot spots. We do still get take-out food frequently, as we want to keep our local restaurants in business. They are restricted to take-out business only. We phone in the order and they come put it in the trunk of our car. We remove it, wash hands, serve, wash hands again. So far, so good. We geezers are still healthy, if somewhat bored. And Kumquat wants to know when we can go someplace. He’s bored, too. Yes, he is a he. His name is Bob. It’s a long story.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
JeffatJacks

Post by JeffatJacks »

Dallas,

I don’t know if the floor wax you used has UV protection. If it does that would protect the tire pretty well it seems. It looks like you treated the treads as well. You will want to exercise caution when first using that tire until the wax wears away. It will significantly reduce your grip. I found this out after treating all four tires, tread and all, for a car show once. It was very sketchy leaving the car show. Just like driving on ice. Of course, with only one tire it won’t be as bad unless it goes on the front.

I really like the look and the addition of the wheel cover. Looks sharp.
2004 Born Free 26 RB
Towing a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
stevek

Post by stevek »

I read that Mop n Glow does a good job. Good idea about the UV.

We are ordering food/goods from Costco to minimize trips to the grocery store.
So far for us, it takes a day or two, maybe 3 for you delivery.
No need to talk to driver. He/she leaves your order on your door step.
The Costco prices delivered to your house are a little higher shopping in the store. But not bad.
Costco adds a mandatory 5% tip for the drive
I see the items vary. One day you can get cooked whole chicken, the next day not.
But you can get produce, fresh meat, even a bottle of wine, etc.
Min order is $35.

Stay SAFE :D
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

The only caution I have ever read about tire shine products is not to use any that are petroleum based. Evidently that can prematurely age the rubber. I must say that the tire looks great and the shine on your coach is excellent for a 19 year old vehicle.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have a confession. I backed into a post in a Texas State Park and badly damaged the rear bumper and the end cap. What you are seeing is new fiberglass. The remainder of the BF has been waxed, but if you look closely you can see the difference. I’ve backed into several things over the years, but nothing as significant as this that required such extensive repair.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”