Graphics Removal

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

KevinVT

Graphics Removal

Post by KevinVT »

Hey folks,

I know there are some things on the web about this for normal RVs.. but I was wondering if anyone has ever removed any of your Born Free graphics? Some of the ones on our 2003 are looking kind of tired and I have some letters missing in a few places. I know here on the forum there are some graphics that were for sale. Although that might interest me, I also like the look of some Born Free's I have seen with no graphics. I am thinking mainly about the big graphics on the side on both the coach and the van front.

Any insight if you have done this would be helpful.

Be well and stay healthy.
--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)
whemme

Re: Graphics Removal

Post by whemme »

I have heard that a heat gun can be used to help remove decal graphics. However be very careful because excessive high temperature heat can damage the gel coat surface.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
norijake

Post by norijake »

There are several different brands of wheels that easily remove decals, stickers, gummy residue, etc. from painted and other surfaces including gelcoat. The wheels appear to be made of a hard, rubber-like material and work sort of like a pencil eraser, wearing down as they're used. Used as directed, they do not damage the underlying surface.

When a decal is removed from gelcoat, the surface will appear very shiny as it was when new. Compounding and waxing the area will help blend this and I imagine the area will quickly become invisible. I used the Whizzy Wheel and found it quick and easy to use.

Amazon sells the Whizzy Wheel: https://www.amazon.com/Whizzy-Wheel-Sti ... B00FJF0O2K
2004 26' RB
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Thanks for the link to the Whizzy Wheel link, some folks suggested similar tools to me. I removed our Delta antenna last week and I have removed a Sat Dish in the past, it is amazing the nice shiny look underneath, I figure it might take a while for the colors to blend and fade. I do tend to polish and wax at least once a year.. these are pretty big and take a while to do the job right :-).

I have heard about heat guns working, but know the caution... but also sometime a blow dryer and plastic razor blades some have suggested.

Someone also suggested 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner for any residue.

Thanks folks!
--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”