Leak - Driver Side Floor?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

KevinVT

Leak - Driver Side Floor?

Post by KevinVT »

Hey folks,

We have a 2003 24RB. I noticed a new leak this week by the drivers feet. The carpet underneath the drivers floor mat was wet I pulled it up to dry and the pad underneath is really wet too. I think this carpet is normally glued down but the glue is all dried up from age. The under pad looks like cotton with foil on the top and bottom - but the foil peels off easy and the pad is soaked.

Anyone ever have a similar issue? At first I thought it might be coming in from the engine dog house? But I have not explored it yet. Some other random internet posts mentioned leaks in the firewall or maybe a plugged AC compressor drain? Let me know if you have had any similar issues with water by the drivers feet.

I am thinking of pulling the front seats and replacing the carpet (since it is getting old), but don't want to do that until I find the source of this water. We have plans to replace the rear carpet too.

Any insights would be great!

FYI - I had some water issues in the past with our Born Free with the seals but I have replaced them in the front and for the past 2 years no new issues, you can see some details about that work on the forum at this link (https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... f=4&t=6130)

--Kevin
--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)
JeffatJacks

Re: Leak - Driver Side Floor?

Post by JeffatJacks »

Look under the dash and look on the firewall to see if you see water trails coming down and pull the left kick panel by the hood release and see if there are water trails there. You may have a leak around the windshield.
2004 Born Free 26 RB
Towing a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
KevinVT

Re: Leak - Driver Side Floor?

Post by KevinVT »

Hey folks... UPDATE.

I have verified I do have a leak.. and I have confirmed there is a TSB for it :-) Here is a link to the TSB I was able to get from my Ford Dealership:

TSB 02-17-04 BODY—WATERLEAK—COWL TO DASH WATER ACCUMULATION AND LEAK AT THE DRIVER’S FLOOR PAN AREA

http://hytten.us/forumimages/tsb/Ford-C ... -17-04.pdf

Here is a short video showing the leak while it was raining the other day, note you will need to download this to view.
http://hytten.us/forumimages/tsb/IMG_1803.m4v

I also noticed the weatherstripping on the cowl was kinda shot, I will be replacing that. It is hard and brittle and pulled away at the point above where the recommend seam sealing should occur based on the TSB. I am sure this might have contributed to the leak. Here are some images. I plan to seal the leak and I am considering replacing the carpet as well, since the underlaying mat is soaked pretty bad.

Leak showed up just behind the brake peddle - the result is the carpet under the floor mats was soaked even when the floor mat was dry on top:

During a rain event you can clearly see the floor of water:

If I am reading the TSB correctly this is the seam the say must be sealed:

The weatherstripping under the cowl is really hard and pulled away right above the seam.

My Born Free is a 2003, the TSB is for a 2002 but I did find some other Class C RV forums reference similar leaks for earlier and later model E 350 and 450's. I will be doing the fix next week and will share if I noticed anything else.

I hope this can help others!
--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”