Auxiliary start didn't work

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

M&MAustin

Auxiliary start didn't work

Post by M&MAustin »

(Apologies if this has been addressed before but I didn't find anything after searching a bit)

I went to pick up our 2013 Mobility from the storage lot yesterday - it had been idle about 2 months during the pandemic shutdowns. It wouldn't start (just clicking) although the radio worked so it wasn't completely dead. I tried the auxiliary start and it made the same sound. I knew the house batteries were probably low (they are the originals) so I started up the generator (needed to exercise it anyway) and ran it for awhile until the battery level came up. Still just clicking. So I assumed it was not a battery issue and called a mobile mechanic. Well, long story short, it was the battery (which has now been replaced).

Any idea why the auxiliary start didn't work? I use it rather more often than most because the wheelchair lift drains the chassis battery when we are parked in one location for several days. Would like to know if there is anything simple to check before I try to get it serviced. Also, would an RV shop that doesn't do chassis work be able to work on this, or do I need someplace that does both chassis and house work?
Matt & Marie Baker
2013 26' Mobility
whemme

Re: Auxiliary start didn't work

Post by whemme »

I am going to make a guess that actually you have a starter with an intermittent solenoid. With the solenoid going bad it will make the clicking noise you heard but the contacts within the solenoid may not be always conducting current to the starter motor. Repeated ignition switch attempts to start the engine will then sometimes result in the solenoid contacts actually making contact and the starter will run resulting in the engine finally starting. You may find out that the problem may return even though you replaced the chassis battery.

A good way to check if your chassis battery is weak but strong enough to make your starter solenoid to click but not good enough to engage the stater motor is to turn your headlights on and have someone looking at the headlights while you turn your ignition switch to the start position. If the headlight dim severely then your chassis battery is weak or discharged. If the headlights don’t dim much, but you hear the clicking noise but the starter doesn’t run, then you have a bad starter.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
John S.

Post by John S. »

It is a momentary switch and limited in amps. It will help allow battery but not a dead one. If you really need to start get your generator running charge the house battery and you can switch the battery in place of the chassis battery
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

For what it's worth - I carry a ~10' piece of romex to use as a emergency jumper cable. It takes up little space. With all 3 wires twisted together at each end it can carry a lot of current. Both chassis and coach have a common grd so you only need to connect the 2 positives together. You'll need 3 people or 2 clamps - I always have the clamps or vise grips handy. With 4 12v batteries in parallel I've always been able to turn the diesel over.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”