Fix or replacement for door latch on 2012 24RB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Suerenity

Fix or replacement for door latch on 2012 24RB

Post by Suerenity »

I’ve scoured the previous posts on the BF forums but I can’t find an answer to whether or not anyone has replaced their original factory installed complete door locking unit (I believe its a Trimark). The exterior handle of this unit has become loose, almost like you could “jiggle” it in the housing. I don’t know if this is part of the problem, but when the door closes and entry is desired from the outside into the coach, I have to pull so hard on the handle that I brace my opposite hand against the side of the coach. Interestingly, if I pull very slowly and straightly, then it seems not as much force is required to open. Even more perplexing to me is that when exiting from the inside to the outside, the handle works perfectly. Has anyone here experienced a similar issue with their side entry coach door? If so, is there an adjustment to be made just to the handle, or do I need to replace the entire door handle/locking unit and if so what would be a compatible replacement?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Suerenity
2012 24RB “The Breeze”
John S.

Re: Fix or replacement for door latch on 2012 24RB

Post by John S. »

I had that happen and there is a piece of metal latch inside that was bent slightly. Mine got so bad I could not open the latch. I was told it is a winabego door assembly.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
SteveLombardi

Re: Fix or replacement for door latch on 2012 24RB

Post by SteveLombardi »

I also have a 2012 coach. The outside door handle became loose and would wiggle freely. I had to learn to grasp the handle firmly and rotate my hand in order to open it. If you just pulled it like one normally would do it resisted opening smoothly. I finally took it apart and found the exterior handle was held in by two hinge pins. One at the top of the handle and one at the bottom. The pins are very short, (maybe 3/8 inch long). The top one was OK but the bottom one had completely fallen out and was luckily rolling around inside the latch frame still in the door. I used a long nose pliers and worked the pin back into place and that fixed the problem. If this turns out to be your problem then I'd lay a rug or something to catch the pin when you take it apart. I was lucky to not have dropped it into my gravel driveway.

Hope this helps you.
2012 25RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”