slide out not responding, HELP

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

deanpscott

slide out not responding, HELP

Post by deanpscott »

Just bought 2014 triumph and am driving home. Set up to boondock and slide won't respond. any ideas? thanks
2014 Triumph
deanpscott

Re: slide out not responding, HELP

Post by deanpscott »

I am a new member here and a new owner, didn't plan for this to be my introduction. I plan on being an active member and owner here and looking forward to meeting every one. I bought the one that was on here for sale. thanks
2014 Triumph
whemme

Post by whemme »

I guess I would start by asking the former owner about the problem.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
deanpscott

Post by deanpscott »

I sent a text, but it is kind of late....didnt really expect a response tonight. thanks
2014 Triumph
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

First, a word of warning: I have never owned a unit with a slideout. So, what I am about to say may be pure garbage!

First, look in the owner’s manual, which I hope the seller gave you. Maybe you have forgotten to throw a certain switch or something.

Second, check for a blown circuit breaker. You may not be getting power to the slideout motor.

Third, it is possible that your slideout motor requires AC power. You may have an inverter that must be turned on to run the slideout motor. Be aware that this could suck a lot of juice out of your batteries. You could always run your engine to keep charging the house batteries. Or you may have to have an AC power source to run the slide. That would be your shore line or your generator.

As I said, I have never owned a unit with a slide, but this is where I would start.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

I know this won't answer your question but your problem brought up a memory that I wanted to relate to. Back years ago when I was attending a Born Free factory rally at the factory location in Humboldt, IA there was a Q&A session where someone in the audience asked the question: Will Born Free ever offer models with a slide out option? John Dodgen Sr. the owner of Born Free in the audience, stood up so quickly that I thought he was going to hit his head on the ceiling answered - as long as I am in charge there will never be a slide out in a Born Free. Of course with his passing away and resulting ownership change, slideouts were offered as options in later production Born Frees.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
deanpscott

Post by deanpscott »

Thanks every one. This was pure over sight and unfamiliarity with my new to me coach. The night before I had boondocked without a hitch, jacks down, slide out, no problem. This night I didnt need the jacks, soooo, I didnt apply the e-brake. Guess what? Yep. E-brake must be used. I always used the e-brake in my class a out of habit, but driving a truck Chasis with an auto transmission left me with a habit of not using the e-brake. The previous owner responded promptly early the next morning and solved the mystery. My partner didnt suffer too bad from sleeping on the love seat :).

Thanks again,
Dean
2014 Triumph
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

I just saw this. Yes, you need the e brake to extend and retract the slide but you do not need to use the levelers to operate the slide. We have not had a single issue with the slide on our 2014 Splendor but the levelers are a different topic.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”