Powered awning problem.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

smokeyshelor

Powered awning problem.

Post by smokeyshelor »

I have a 2003 Born Free 26RSB with a Care Free of Colorado awning not working. Has been working for years but yesterday it failed to extend. Checked the voltage to the operating switch and no 12 volts. Checked the fuse panel looking for a blown fuse but no fuses blown. In fact I cant find a fuse labeled awning circuit. Went to the owners manual looking for electrical circuits for the awning but cannot find the awning mentioned anywhere. I have made a temporary connection from another circuit to the operating switch and the awning works fine. My questions are : Does any one know where the awning gets is power and is there a fuse anywhere in the circuit? Thanks for anyone's help. Smokey Shelor
WardPAW

Re: Powered awning problem.

Post by WardPAW »

Smokey,

We have a 2005 26RSB, so the electrical schematic is mostly likely similar.

There is an additional 12V fuse block under the vanity. The awning 15A fuse is on that block. See attached photos.

If your fuse is not blown, here are some thoughts:

Be sure your house batteries are good and fully charged.

Does the awning operate when only using the house batteries, not plugged into shore power? If it operates on the house batteries, but not on the converter, most likely the converter is not putting out enough amperage and needs to be replaced. When plugged into shore power, all 12V circuits work off of the converter.

We thought we had an issue with our refrigerator a few years back. The refrigerator would work when operating on the house batteries, but when plugged into shore power, the refrigerator controls shut it down due to insufficient amperage. The converter had aged/failed. There are several posts on replacing the converter.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
BF 12V fuse block under vanity
BF 12V fuse block under vanity
IMG_4795.JPG (32.43 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
BF 12V fuse block under vanity, awning fuse located here
BF 12V fuse block under vanity, awning fuse located here
IMG_4791.JPG (30.57 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
smokeyshelor

Re: Powered awning problem.

Post by smokeyshelor »

Ben, thanks for your help.

You were exactly right about the fuse block under the vanity. I had no idea that it was there. There was indeed a
fuse for the awning and it was blown. Replaced the fuse and all is well.

It just goes to show you that when you have a problem there is always someone out there that can help or
give you information that leads you to the resolution if you can just find them.

Thanks again
Smokey Shelor

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”