Inverter install '99 RB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tanksalot

Inverter install '99 RB

Post by tanksalot »

I've recently obtained a 1000 watt sine wave inverter for my 1999 RB Born Free. I plan on hooking up all the outlets to the inverter output. My question is where can I gain high-amperage access to the under-sink area. I've looked at the cables from the batteries and they just go into two holes near the rear tires.

Any suggestions as to how to wire my inverter?

Thanks in advance!
tomzleapin

Re: Inverter install '99 RB

Post by tomzleapin »

If you connect your outlets directly to the inverter, the inverter will have to be on any time you need 120 volt AC even while plugged into shore power or when on generator. This also limits you to a maximum of 1000 watts. You won't be able to run your coffee maker, toaster, hair dryer or any high wattage appliance. A better approach is to install a transfer relay. This will automatically switch between inverter power and shore/generator power. This is how I wired mine:
K1 is the existing transfer relay that switches between shore and generator power. K2 is the added transfer relay. The GFCI is the breaker in the distribution unit for the outlets.

If your layout is similar to my '05 the power distribution unit is located below the kitchen sink. This contains 12 volt fuses, 120 volt breakers, and the converter/charger. You should be able to gain access to the back of the distribution unit by opening a door on the side of the kitchen cabinet. This door is screwed shut on mine. It would be best to run the 12 volt wiring for the inverter directly to your batteries and as close to your batteries as possible and should be at least #4 gauge. You will also need at least a 100 amp fuse or breaker in this line which should be attached directly to the positive battery terminal.

Do not place the inverter in the battery compartment. It should be inside the coach where it will be easily accessible. An inverter will draw a bit of power even with no load on it so it's best to turn it off when not needed.

First and foremost, disconnect all power before doing anything. Generator off, shore power disconnected, and negative cable removed from battery terminal.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
whemme

Post by whemme »

A 1000 watt inverter with assumed 90% efficiency would be drawing about 85 amps from your house battery(s) assuming you are drawing the full 1000 watts of 120 vac power from it. This would require that you use AWG 6 size cable to connect the inverter to the house battery(s).
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tanksalot

Post by tanksalot »

Thanks for the input. It also looks like one of the outlet wires also goes to the refrigerator heater. I’ll have to run on LP only.
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

This manually operated switch works for us. I wired it for shore power on position 1 and inverter power on position 2. The center position turns off all power flow. I wired it to switch all three wires so the GFCI circuit would operate without tripping.

Uxcell a14120400ux0772 AC 690V 32A 3 Position Electric Rotary Selector:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8W5EP4
Attachments
inverter switch.jpg
inverter switch.jpg (161.17 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”