Leaking shut off valve for fresh water tank drain line

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ironhorse

Leaking shut off valve for fresh water tank drain line

Post by Ironhorse »

Hello all,

I have a 2013 front lounge 23 ft’er. The plumbing described below is bolted to the floor under the bottom kitchen drawer.

Was winterizing the water system today and found a slow leak in the brass shut off valve that allows me to drain the fresh water valve. This valve has leaked since we got the camper a few years ago but only in transition from closed to open or visa versa. Now it is leaking in the closed position as well. I found a small o ring laying near the valve and suspect it’s the packing seal from under the valve handle. The handle / valve stem are a bit loose and can be moved up and down a bit relative to the valve body. This is a brass body valve with black plastic handle on top. Valve is Connected to White plastic water lines on either side using crimped band clamps. The plastic tubing measures about 0.625” OD which I assume is half 0.5” ID tubing. There is also a white plastic elbow clamped to the water line to direct flow down through the floor.

Questions:
1. Can I repair this brass handle by removing the handle and replacing the o ring ? I wouldn’t consider this route if the plumbing wasn’t so tightly packed and difficult to work on.

2. Is the white plastic tubing PEX or equivalent ? I need to know so that I purchas the correct new tubing, elbows and clamps.

3. Are the brass valves (made in italy) still available for purchase? If so, where ? I’ve had no luck finding one so far. I prefer to use orig equipment when possible but not a requirement if better hardware exists.

4. Anything special about the white 90 deg elbow? PEX ?

Thanks so much for any assistance you can provide.

John
John Cassidy
Brighton, Michigan
2013 BF Front Lounge, 23 ft on E350 chassis
1966 Mustang conv

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”