aux start switch not working

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

midnightpumpkin

aux start switch not working

Post by midnightpumpkin »

We purchased our 2010 22RSK 3 weeks ago, we have taken it out on short overnight trips to get acclaimated and checkout the systems. When I first tried the "aux start" switch I could distinctly hear the battery isolation solenoid engage. After I hit the switch several times I no longer heard the solenoid engage. The solenoid I refer to is labeled "Big Boy" and is mounted on the rear underside of the drivers stepwell.

When I start the engine, after about a 1 minute delay, the solenoid engages and the house batteries are being charged by the chassis alternator (verified with a voltmeter).

So my question is, where is the time delay that controls the solenoid located? Is it a time delay relay, or is a circuit board. I have pulled the "aux start" switch out of the dash and there is no voltage present on it an any positions of the ignition switch. If I had a schematic or at least of location of the time delay function, it would help to troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

BTW, we are loving out Born Free. We sold a 33 ft travel trailer with a large slideout and a 3/4 ton crew cab pickup last year, with the idea of downsizing, the 22RSK is turning out to be perfect for us at this stage in life, both of us turned 76 this fall.

John U

A follow up to this post: There is a 5 amp fuse for the aux start function, located in the power converter DC fuse panel, replaced this fuse and all is good.
Last edited by midnightpumpkin on Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
John S.

Re: aux start switch not working

Post by John S. »

The delay sounds normal. The switch is a momentary switch so I think it only works while depressed to start the motorhome or in my case last time the generator.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”