House battery boiling! Emergency

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BlakeLinda

Re: House battery boiling! Emergency

Post by BlakeLinda »

We took a look at the website for our charger to locate the “output mode switch”. Neither of us can see any switch like the manual refers to.
We may call the factory.
My photos are not loading. Will try separately.
Thanks!
Blake & Linda
2010 RSK
Tlm1nc

Post by Tlm1nc »

Here goes, my first posting. Right off the bat I am alarmed by this posting, your response and advice. Our new to us 2003 26’ RSB has the Parallax model 7345. It states on the sticker labeled Operation Guide,” D: BATTERY CHARGING When 120 VAC is connected to the Power Converter, the total output of the converter is available for charging the RV battery (ies)”. How will I know when the batteries are fully charged? Do I need to disconnect the leads and let the batteries stabilize before attaching a good multimeter?
Thank you for all of your help!
Tom & Michele
2003 26' RSB
N. Canton, OH
BlakeLinda

Post by BlakeLinda »

Hi Tim,
Sorry for the delay in responding. We have a BornFree 2010 RSK.
Our charging system may be different from yours. We leave ours plugged in all the time when we aren’t traveling. It automatically maintains the batteries nicely.
The boiling battery had nothing to do with the charging system. The plates in the battery broke and fell against each other and shorted the battery.
Let a professional tell you if your system maintains your batteries automatically.
Good luck.
Blake & Linda
2010 RSK
whemme

Post by whemme »

Only if your motorhome is equipped with a 3-mode smart charger can you leave it plugged into shoreline power continuously without the problem of over-charging and damaging your house batteries.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
midnightpumpkin

Post by midnightpumpkin »

BlakeLinda wrote:Hi Tim,
Sorry for the delay in responding. We have a BornFree 2010 RSK.
Our charging system may be different from yours. We leave ours plugged in all the time when we aren’t traveling. It automatically maintains the batteries nicely.
The boiling battery had nothing to do with the charging system. The plates in the battery broke and fell against each other and shorted the battery.
Let a professional tell you if your system maintains your batteries automatically.
Good luck.
If in doubt about your converter, talk to Randy at bestconverter.com, he answers his own phone and is very knowlegeable and very helpfull.
Tlm1nc

Post by Tlm1nc »

Good advice, I will call Randy with my Parallax operation manual in hand. Thank you..
I will post anything helpful.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Tlm1nc wrote:Good advice, I will call Randy with my Parallax operation manual in hand. Thank you..
I will post anything helpful.
Good idea to call Randy. However recommend you also read a post titled Converting Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter to PD4655V System in the Coach Modifications section on this forum.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”