Mackinac Island, MI Visit

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Mackinac Island, MI Visit

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Although there are “big ifs,” my wife and I have tentative plans to visit Michigan this year in late summer or early fall. We will be in our Born Free and will be taking our dog along. I know we cannot take a vehicle to the island and must take a passenger ferry from Mackinaw City. We have done a bit of research and will do a lot more before we go. We have found there are dog friendly hotels on the Island.

Here are my questions. If you have visited the island with your dog ————

1. Where on the mainland did you leave your motorhome?
2. If you stayed overnight, what dog friendly hotel did you use?
We will only be staying one or two nights.
We’re you pleased with your accommodations?
3. Feel free to pass along any information you think will be helpful.
About Mackinac Island or other Michigan places to visit.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Zcasa

Re: Mackinac Island, MI Visit

Post by Zcasa »

Hi Dallas, we went a few years ago via ferry. We only did a day trip. Wonderful adventure and the 8 mile paved State Highway around the Island bills itself as the only State Highway in the entire USA that does not allow vehicles, except emergency vehicles. You will have a wonderful adventure and thank you for all of your informative postings.
midnightpumpkin

Post by midnightpumpkin »

If you are traveling from Alabama, it would be a shame to not visit some of the sights in the UP of Michigan. Whitefish Point, Tahaquomen Falls, Soo Locks are all day trips from St. Ignace.

Contact Sheplers Ferry, on the St Ignace side, they can accomodate overnight parking for your coach.

https://www.sheplersferry.com/st-ignace-parking/

Try to stay at least one night at the Straits State Park, there are sites where you can view the bridge at night from your camper. Site 4 is our favorite, but there are a number of good sites along the water.

BTW the UP of Michigan is our all around favorite place to camp, as you have figured out by now!
John U
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Thank you midnightpumpkin,

Although I have visited the UP twice, my wife has never been there. It may seem a bit odd but the incentive for this visit is an author of mysteries who sets his books in the UP. His descriptions of the area and the weather makes you feel like you are there. His first, A COLD DAY IN PARADISE, centers on Paradise, a real unincorporated community on SR 123 south of the Shipwreck Museum on Lake Superior. After reading his novels we think it would be fun to go there, even though we have seen the community on Google Earth and don’t expect much. Of course we will do a lot of other sightseeing while we are there. So as I said in my initial post, give me any suggestions you
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Here is a link to the book I mentioned. The author, Steve Hamilton, wrote several more set in the UP.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Day-Paradis ... 0312969198
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
midnightpumpkin

Post by midnightpumpkin »

Dallas,
I'm hooked, I bought the book!
You will be suprised at how interesting Paradise can be. Start at the Berry Patch cafe and bakery. Just before Whitefish point is a State Marina, pull in and walk the breakwall. There is an interesting fish house (barn) and several delelect fishing boats as well as several Native American active fishing boats at the marina.

Also in St Ignace be sure and go to Bentley's cafe for a meal.
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Hi Dallas, I will certainly try reading A Cold Day in Paradise and thanks for the tip. The next time you are in the UP be sure to try some Trenary Toast. We became hooked on it and Sandy has tried to duplicate the recipe with some success. Also since you like mysteries that give a great description of an area might I suggest another author for you,Tony Hillerman. He died a few years ago but his books centered on the Navajo police are superb. His descriptions of the region around the Navajo reservation are spot on and vivid. He describes the Navajo people, their customs and beliefs so accurately that the Navajo nation gave him several honors for it. His books will also give you a reason for visiting or revisiting the southwest.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Jlef123,

I have read all of Tony Hillerman’s books. The Navaho Reservation was like home to me as I read them. I felt like I knew all the characters so well that if I could meet them we would recognize one another and pick up our last conversation where left off. I’ve driven across it several times. Seeing Shiprock was almost a religious experience.

Sometimes, if you are familiar with an area, your mind easily envisions the setting. I grew up in Louisiana and author James Lee Burke writes of his character Dave Robicheau a detective in New Iberia —the heart of Cajun Country. The people, the swamp, the humidity, the juke joints all light up my imagination. Burke, who has written 39 books, is quire a piece of work himself.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Hi, Dallas, you are going to visit our prior home, northern MI. We have never taken dogs to Mackinac Island but left them in the rv in the parking lot of the ferry for the day. The weather was favorable, fan on ,etc., so neat was not an issue. It seemed very safe. The island is quite small so one day may be enough. If you want to splurge and stay the night, stay at the Grand Hotel. It is quite an experience in old world charm. We stayed there once on a bar association thing at a reduced rate and it was wonderful. I am sure they do not take dogs. As for other places to go in northern MI, depends on what you want to do and see. It could cheerfully take all summer. Please feel free to PM me for any questions or suggestions. Our favorite place on earth, 6 months of the year!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”