Michelin agility Cross Climate C metric tires

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ebaron

Michelin agility Cross Climate C metric tires

Post by ebaron »

So, most of us know how the rears of our Class C motor homes are overloaded or on the edge. The axle is one thing, but overloading tires is more concerning to me. It was time for tires for our ‘08 RSB. We previously ran the Michelin LTX (LT designation). Mine were not at all worn, but we’re at that 7 year mark, so my comparison is to those tires. I opted for the new Michelin Agilis Cross Climate C-metric. The C is crucial, as it buys you an extra 2000 lb of capacity on the four rear tires, vs the LT version. You read that right!

The C they say is a commercial European tire. It is is also directional. It has a more aggressive tread, which I liked, as I needed to escape the NE this February. I would not call these loud though by any means. I’d say a bit more road noise, but not that noticeable. I’ve run Michelin’s for years, including in 3/4 ton trucks towing trailers, and let’s face it, Michelins are probably one the quietest, smoothest riding tire out there. I’ve used other brand winter tires on my pickups, and these Cross Climates are certainly quieter than my others. My point, the tread is not an issue to discount these tires.

I just finished a 1200 mile trip to Florida and am totally happy with these. I’m towing a Jeep, and I did make an alignment correction on the Jeep, which made a world of difference towing it. But, I watched closely the entire trip, and never saw the top the RV sway in rear. I was on 81, and frankly, all
those 18 wheelers blowing past me made no difference. We hit some serious rain, and I felt very confident. Though, on a new tire, most will notice an improvement.

I wrote this as I thought I’d follow the Michelin RV tire inflation guide. This is what floored me. At 80 psi, a pair of C tires, have 1000lb more load capacity than a pair of LTs. Based on their charts, I should be running about 68psi in rear vs the 80 I’m accustomed to. The weight on our 27RSB, with full has, 3/4 propane and 3/4 water, weighed in at 10,240 previously on a Commercial CAT scale. Yes that’s 700# over the rear axle GAWR. I balance my load, try not to overload items in rear, so IMO, it is what it is.

So in the past, I was technically over on 4 rear LT tires. I feel much better with these. I was ready to make some additional suspension improvements to rear, to minimize sway, but honestly, after driving with these tires, I don’t think it will be necessary. The added ease in driving and towing, make these worth every penny to me.

10 stars for these tires thus far. The only thing my tires need is more miles. Happy Camping!
Ed
2008 27RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”