Onan Generator

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

81jeepcj7

Onan Generator

Post by 81jeepcj7 »

I'm having issues with my Onan Generator. It only tries to start after i let off the start button. When it does start it runs really rough and then dies. Any help would be nice.
whemme

Re: Onan Generator

Post by whemme »

Would appreciate more info. What year and model of your Born Free coach? And what model Onan generator is installed?

Possible problem might be a defective electric fuel pump.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
81jeepcj7

Post by 81jeepcj7 »

I own a 1996 Born Free 24ft. The Genset is a BGE4 with about 200hrs.
whemme

Post by whemme »

OK. If you can reach behind your generator, disconnect the hose from the output connection on the electric fuel pump. Then press on the generator’s STOP button which will activate the fuel pump into its primer mode. If the fuel pump is OK, there should be a stream fuel coming out of the fuel pump while pressing on that STOP button. If no stream of fuel, your fuel pump is bad.

Is your main fuel tank level at least above 25% capacity? Your generator can’t draw fuel if that level is below about 25%.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
81jeepcj7

Post by 81jeepcj7 »

my fuel tank is full. The fuel pump is working fine.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”