To tow or not to tow . . .

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Judy Madnick

To tow or not to tow . . .

Post by Judy Madnick »

When we had our 33' Sea Breeze, we tried towing . . . and hated it. We are now retired, RV-less, and considering the 32' RQ. Because we're retired, we are more apt to stay in one place a little longer than we were able to when we were working and can therefore rent a car. We realize we'd have to plan ahead, as some CGs may not have a car-rental facility close by.

Essentially, though my question is this: Have any of you traveled without a toad and found that it worked out all right? Did you have problems finding car-rental facilities? Are taxicabs a viable option if necessary?

Our ultimate goal is to take "longer" trips so that the main times that we wouldn't have a car available would be the overnights on the way to where we're going. I guess the main issue would be if there was an "important" intermediate stop (i.e, more than overnight) -- perhaps people we want to visit for a few days or sites to see.

Comments? (Please be gentle . . . :) )
Brent

Post by Brent »

Hi Judy,

Good luck on your decision; I hope the new 32' ends up in your drive-way.

In about 16 years of regular RVing I have never towed. But.. I tend to move a lot, very seldom am I too long in one place and my rig is only 23', which is pretty maneuverable. It has worked for me for many years.

However when things change so I have more time and spend it in one place, I'm planning to tow as I haven't found a suitable substitute and the flexibility would be nice. For me the planning required to provide other transportation (rentals, etc.) isn't something I would take the time to do prior to trips.

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Judy Madnick

Post by Judy Madnick »

Brent wrote:Hi Judy,

Good luck on your decision; I hope the new 32' ends up in your drive-way.

In about 16 years of regular RVing I have never towed. But.. I tend to move a lot, very seldom am I too long in one place and my rig is only 23', which is pretty maneuverable. It has worked for me for many years.

However when things change so I have more time and spend it in one place, I'm planning to tow as I haven't found a suitable substitute and the flexibility would be nice. For me the planning required to provide other transportation (rentals, etc.) isn't something I would take the time to do prior to trips.

Brent
Thanks for your input. I will share your comments with my husband -- after all, he's the primary driver . . . and the one who would be "stuck" driving a 32-foot motorhome to the supermarket if necessary. :) (He's a former busdriver, so it's no "biggie" to him.)
whemme

Towing?

Post by whemme »

Judy,

Towing is a personal decision that you will have to decide on your own. In the seven years that we have owned a Born Free (first a 1999 24' RB and currently a 2002 26' RSB) we have generally (but not always) towed a car along with us. First was a 1998 Chev Malibu LS and currently a 2005 Chev Malibu LS. We probably have towed these two cars a total of 70,000 miles. Certain trips we decided not to tow but not many but enough that I know the mileage penalty for towing. My experience is that I average about 9.0 MPG not towing and 8.5 MPG towing.

The Malibu has proving to be a good toad choice for us because it can be towed 4-wheels down without any modifications necessary - its automatic transmission is one of the few capable of being towed.

The larger your motorhome, the less it is easy to use it to get around in at your camping destination in place of a toad. I think a BF 32' RQ motorcoach would qualifiy as a relatively large unit. Also, if you need to leave your campsite frequently, having to unhook and rehook water, electrical, sewer, cable TV, etc in order to use the coach to get around in in place of a toad can get to be a drag.

Using a rental car in place of your own toad is good if you can access a suitable agency with relative ease at your various destinations.

Again, these are only my personal opinions for what they are worth.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Judy Madnick

Re: Towing?

Post by Judy Madnick »

whemme wrote:The larger your motorhome, the less it is easy to use it to get around in at your camping destination in place of a toad. I think a BF 32' RQ motorcoach would qualifiy as a relatively large unit. Also, if you need to leave your campsite frequently, having to unhook and rehook water, electrical, sewer, cable TV, etc in order to use the coach to get around in in place of a toad can get to be a drag.

Using a rental car in place of your own toad is good if you can access a suitable agency with relative ease at your various destinations.
My husband is a former busdriver, so other than unhooking and rehooking, that's not a problem. We would rent a car anyplace where we're staying for any length of time. Of course, that's one more planning task -- which is usually my job. :(

Thanks for your input1
Dallas Baillio

To Tow or not to Tow

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I can see the advantage of towing a vehicle if you stay in one spot for an extended period. Otherwise I don't see the pros outweighing the cons. We have had small motor homes that could not tow a vehicle, until we purchased the BF 26 RSB. It also depends on what you enjoy seeing or visiting when you travel. If you like to visit larger cities and go to museums, landmarks, etc. then a car would be helpful. For us we visit off the beaten path places like national monuments, state and national forests, etc. We stay in Corps of Engineers', state, national forest, and state park campgrounds (and sometimes Wal-Mart parking lots!) for one or two nights at the most. If we visit a large city far from home we fly, stay in a hotel and do the whole tourist thing. The only time we have towed a car with our BF is when we have fled from hurricanes --Ivan, Dennis and Katrina. I agree that is is simply a personal preference, but I do think that trying to rent and return a car will be a pain. You will most likely find that you hesitate to do it unless it is very easy, or what your want to visit by car is very important to you.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
KTnLen

Post by KTnLen »

Well, I guess I'd better weigh in so you can hear it from someone who had a 32-ft RQ President, and now has a 32-ft RT President, and towed with both.

As you can see from the attached photos, we can tow either of our BMW X3s with a car hauler trailer, and stay within the load limits of the trailer and coach. We have also towed a Mini Cooper S with this trailer, and none of the vehicles caused us any problems. With a Prodigy brake controller, we don't even know we are towing and have to check using the rear-view camera to ensure everything is still there. My spouse, who does half the driving, also is quick to add she has had no trouble driving with the car hauler in tow.

The main advantages of a car hauler is that any vehicle up to about 5,000 lbs may be towed without extra preparation, there is no wear and tear on the vehicle nor mileage accumulation, and you have your own vehicle at all times. The downside is that the trailer itself can weigh in at 2,000 lbs, and does take more time than a tow bar or dolly to prepare for the road.

I should point out that the Born Free 32-ft standard hitch is a Class III, and is rated at 5,000 lbs / 500 lbs tongue weight. We special ordered our new unit with a Class IV hitch to take a heavier load, and that added about $600 to the unit cost. The electric brake controller and labor to install it was about $250. Ratchet straps, hitch ball, and T-hooks added another $140. The trailer cost about $2800 with tax.

Although it has not been an issue for me because I always call ahead to every RV park, some people complain that there is no place to park the trailer at an RV campground. I always request pull-through sites, and normally these are about 60-ft long, so I can pull the whole assembly into a site, leave the trailer hooked up and pull the car down when and if needed. Now that I've done it several times, I can do a full hookup in about 20 minutes, and take a car off in about five minutes.

The extra weight causes us to drop from about 8.2 mi/gal to about 7.3 mi/gal, but we enjoy having a full-size vehicle with us along the way and at our destination. I have towed by myself on two trips, 400 miles to Albuquerque, and 540 miles to Omaha. We took the Mini Cooper on the trailer to Humboldt for the Homecoming last June, a round-trip of about 1,900 miles. We just completed a trip to St Louis, over 800 miles each way, and despite rain and high winds, we encountered no difficulties. The 32-ft Born Free will handle much better than your former unit. And, by towing on a trailer, we avoided putting about 4,500 miles on our cars.

I recently had one of the BMWs set up with a hitch so I can tow the trailer with it when I don't wish to use the coach. This adds a lot of flexibility.

I rented a car when I took the 32-ft RQ prototype to show it in San Diego, and it was a pain to find a car rental agency that was open past noon on a Saturday, near my destination, and not at an airport. Enterprise worked out on that trip by coincidence as there was an office about a mile from the show location. But I had to rely on them to pick me up and drop me off at the conclusion of the rental.

Here's another thought: on a 500-mile trip, with the kind of gas mileage I've experienced, the extra fuel to make the round-trip would be about 15-gals, or an added cost of about $35 at today's prices. That would only pay for one day of a car rental.

Well, I hope I was able to give you another angle on the merits of towing. For us, the car hauler is the option we prefer. But, some people would be intimidated by a 52-foot train of vehicle, and I understand that.
Attachments
Born Free 32RQ with Car Hauler and BMW X3 in tow.
Born Free 32RQ with Car Hauler and BMW X3 in tow.
IM000445.JPG (48.77 KiB) Viewed 12589 times
BMW X3 loaded on Car Hauler - combined weight approx 6,000 lbs.
BMW X3 loaded on Car Hauler - combined weight approx 6,000 lbs.
IM000444.JPG (64.19 KiB) Viewed 12589 times
Judy Madnick

Post by Judy Madnick »

KTnLen wrote:Well, I guess I'd better weigh in so you can hear it from someone who had a 32-ft RQ President, and now has a 32-ft RT President, and towed with both.
I/we appreciate your comments. We just purchased a Toyota Avalon, and in retirement are finding that one car serves our purposes -- so that limits our options. Yes, renting would take more planning, which when we were working would have created more problems. But we're thinking that we can work around the rental agencies' hours because our timing won't be so critical. We actually liked using Enterprise, especially because they pick you up and drop you off. We didn't have a problem with timing -- we called, they arrived promptly, etc.

Do you know of anybody who has rented cars routinely, rather than towing? Are we crazy to even consider this?
norijake

Post by norijake »

My wife and I have been discussing this same conundrum for about a year now. Still haven't come up with the answer as yet though we may be leaning towards a toad. That could be because I am lusting over a 4-door Wrangler and this just might be my excuse to obtain one :D

We made made our living traveling and we have used car rentals extensively. However, we have also used many other modes of transportation rather than just auto rentals. In Hawaii we used the bus lines and city trollies as well as bikes, in Europe we used the rails and canal system, in Thailand long-tail motorboats, in Japan unbelieveably clean cabs; we also wore out more than a few pairs of jogging shoes. The point is that regardless of where you may end up, if you want to get someplace else, it is pretty easy.

In your position, I would keep in mind what Mick Jagger said in one of his songs: "Time is on my side, yes it is." Give car rentals and local transportation (or whatever happens to be available) a chance. In over 40 years of traveling, I have never found myself stranded and I have never had a bad experience with car rentals or any of the other forms of local travel used. I have been lost in places where they didn't speak South Alabamian before, but I always got back and had a lot of fun doing it. If rentals/local transpo doesn't work out you have all the time you need to go out and buy yourself a toad.

JMHO...
2004 26' RB
Judy Madnick

Post by Judy Madnick »

norijake wrote:. . . . The point is that regardless of where you may end up, if you want to get someplace else, it is pretty easy. . . . If rentals/local transpo doesn't work out you have all the time you need to go out and buy yourself a toad.
I like your way of thinking :D We know it will sometimes be an inconvenience not having a toad, but at this point we're willing to take our chances. If time is an issue, we'll have to do more planning -- which tends to be my job. Oh, well.

Thanks!
whemme

Cats and Dogs

Post by whemme »

Someone told me once that dogs love you because you allow them to live in your house. On the other hand, cats will allow you to live in your house with them if you love them enough but only at their discretion!
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

I would suggest that you check into if you can tow your new car 4 wheels down without a transmission pump and then check into the cost of rigging your coach for towing -- you wouldn't have to tow all the time but it would be available if you wanted too -- it would depend on where you go -- some places rental cars are not available -- many places you don't need one -- on my car you don't see the hitch as it stays on the coach when needed and only see 2 small holes on the front of the car where the hitch connects --
Trisha

May I add another set of experience to this?

Post by Trisha »

I drove out to San diego from MN last year, and decided not to tow, thinking that I would just rent where I stayed if I stayed long enough, and that I'd drive the rig.

I have a 26' RB and had a Honda set up to tow.

Well, It worked okay until I got into San diego. 1st week there, I rented a car and all was well. Moved to the Bay for a week, had to rent a different car because plans had changed...had to wait a day because it was a convention or something and nobody had one. Then it was EXPENSIVE.

After that, no toad at Quartzite, when I really would have loved one. Freedom instead of having to bum a ride with folks. (I have walking issues and sometimes that can be a deal breaker too).

After that, Sierra Vista/Tombstone. REnted. Got a piece of junk. Drove it to a new rental place, rented another, got only part o my money back and lost a whole day in the process. Also, pricey because of the Tuscon gem & mineral show sucked every rental in the area.

On to texas. Rented again in San Marcos. You lose a couple hours when you pull in to go do the whole run down and rent a car thing, but I had to have one there. More $$$. Moved down to Corpus Christi. Got one. Had something wrong with the steering and had to swap it out. Ended up with a free upgrade to a Jeep liberty. A week later, I realized that, for all the $ I had spent in rental cars, it would be far FAR cheaper to make a car payment. Bought a Jeep Liberty and had it outfitted on the spot, in Corpus Christi.

Now, in a caravan situation where bus tours and other such transpo is available, I can see not towing. But Having a bird to secure, and such, I just find it personally too draining with my other physical issues to pack up just to drive for an afternoon and then unpack. I can never get quite comfortable in camp when I'm never able to put out the mats, furntire, have stuff 'out'. And I'm always hooking and unhooking and blah blah blah. It's way more work for me (and with MS, believe me, I am KEENLY AWARE of how much work is how much work) to have to hook and unhook and put away and unput away, then it is to take the 5 minutes to pop a few pins and run a few gears, tuck the tow bar and drive away.

In the long run it's cheaper too. My jeep gets way better mileage. And I get a break from the bird if he's not happy with the itinerary. He can tell it to someone else while I'm off :)

I stay an average of 3 weeks each place, sometimes not so long, sometimes longer, depending on how much exploring needs to be done...and I have a higher requirement for 'down days' than most...rest days... so that renting under that set of circumstances is untenable, financially.

And it does become a bother to have to go get the car, and turn it in, and check it out, and who knows what smells...ugh!

For me, I'll nearly always tow unless there's an extremely compellign reason not to. If I go back to Alaska, I WILL tow. Period end of story.

Maybe it's different in a BF2 but this is a 26' and if we were talking the 32, I'd be even more inclined. It's not hard to tow...I'm a woman alone and I do not find it onerous to hook up and unhook by myself.

Hope this helps.

Trisha

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”