Disinfecting the hot water heater tank

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

admoffat

Disinfecting the hot water heater tank

Post by admoffat »

When you disinfect your water system, do you disinfect the hot water heater tank? If so, is the anode rod in or out?

I haven't disinfected our hot water tank, mostly because I'm afraid of the chlorine aggressively eating the anode rod or eating something else.
2016 Royal Splendor
Verona, WI
davids.moffat@outlook.com
whemme

Re: Disinfecting the hot water heater tank

Post by whemme »

I guess I have always taken the position that since the hot water tank generally contains water at a temperature of 140 degrees, that this temperature is high enough to keep the tank disinfected. Maybe I am wrong about this. As far as the rest of the water system, I rinse out all three tanks and the water lines with Clorox bleach added to the tanks each fall before winterization.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
shilohdad

Re: Disinfecting the hot water heater tank

Post by shilohdad »

I do run the bleach water into my hot water heater when sanitizing the fresh water system, leaving the anode rod in. After leaving the bleach water in for a couple of hours, I drain the hot water heater by removing the plug/anode rod and refilling with fresh water. I have done this for 20 years, first with out Roadtrek and then with both our Born Frees. Never had a problem with water heater or anode rods due to this.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”