Free Tappan Microwave

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

daryl&mary

Free Tappan Microwave

Post by daryl&mary »

Finally replaced the old Tappan microwave. It still microwaves fine, but one of the interlock switches is intermittent. We often had to leave the door open or the turntable would keep rotating.

Rather than try to repair, I replaced with a Dometic convection microwave from CW. Had to increase the opening on each side by 1/2 inch, but then slid it in and it fits perfect. Look nice too - mostly black but some stainless trim.

If anyone feels up to fixing the old Tappan, you may have it for free. You pay the shipping or you can pick up in Mesa AZ. Would rather see it go to a good home than the landfill. Email: dgerke@emiguru.com
Last edited by daryl&mary on Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daryl & Mary
2006 BFT
Fantom

Re: Free Tappan Microwave

Post by Fantom »

Can you post a link to the Dometic from CW ?
Alek
2002 Born Free 26' RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Fantom,

If you are planning to replace your microwave this may be of help:

https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... ave#p35291
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
daryl&mary

Post by daryl&mary »

Fantom,

Here is the link for the Dometic convection microwave model we purchased from Camping World.

https://www.campingworld.com/dometic-co ... lsrc=aw.ds

I could not locate the Highpointe model that others used, which apparently fit the same opening as the Tappan. The Dometic is an inch wider, so 20 minutes with a saber saw fixed that (1/2 inch on each side.) There were two inch feet on the bottom, so I removed the two inch wood spacers for the Tappan. Everything then fit, but with only a half inch to spare on the face plate. I did slightly bend an attached baffle to slide it in. Not sure the baffle was needed, but I installed it anyway.

We have a BFT, so the fit on other models may differ. We are happy -- it looks nice. Thanks Dallas for your input.
Daryl & Mary
2006 BFT
Fantom

Post by Fantom »

Thank You,
Alek
2002 Born Free 26' RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”