Convert cab-over bed to entertainment center

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

DoodleMom

Convert cab-over bed to entertainment center

Post by DoodleMom »

Hi. I've been a Born Free owner since 2008 and own one of the first RVs in this style. I have a 24RB and have traveled all lower 48 states and much of Canada. However I have not joined the Leapin Lions club until now when I have a question. I used to use the cab over bed for my granddaughters, but they have grown up and don't travel with me anymore. So I would like to convert the cab over queen bed into an entertainment center. I've seen many Born Frees with the cab-over entertain center and I am reading your posts asking about how to convert the entertainment area into a Queen bed. I want the opposite. I can't figure out how the board that would hold the tv is attached. Since the cab over area is fiberglass, I'm reluctant to putting any hardware into it. Can someone with the entertainment center tell me how it is attached? I would ask someone at Born Free in Humbolt, but they are no longer in existence. :( Any advice would be appreciated.
2008 24RB Born Free with extensive remodeling, Fiat 500 tow
whemme

Re: Convert cab-over bed to entertainment center

Post by whemme »

However I have not joined the Leapin Lions club until now when I have a question.
DoodleMom, I hope you get good answers to your question. However, I want to point out that just registering to post on this forum is not the same as joining our Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club. Club membership only costs $15/year and as an owner of a Born Free motorcoach, you are encouraged to join our club.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Here's a couple of photos of the entertainment center in a 2004. If your 2008 is similar the portion of the bed from the hinge toward the rear of the coach would be removed and the cabinet would set on the front of the overhang and the top could be fastened to the roll bar.

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
DoodleMom

Post by DoodleMom »

Thanks! I never thought about the roll bar! I’ll check that out and see if mine is the same!
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

After looking closer at mine, the whole bed would be removed.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
DoodleMom

Post by DoodleMom »

Thanks Tom! However my 2008 must be different than yours. The roll bar is forward, in other words, it is where the edge of the Queen size bed comes to after folding down the center piece. This would leave a large hole in the center without the mattress. I have taken the entire mattress off. Then I realized that the windows on either side of that cab over area actually are set into a wooden surround and the inside edge exactly aligns to the area of the cab over without the mattress. I'm now thinking that I can attach some braces to that and run a 2x4 along the base then I would have a place to secure the plywood to. Thanks again for your suggestion!
John S.

Post by John S. »

You are not far from Motorhomes of Texas. They could do that remodel for you. I set them up to be A born Free dealer and ordered mine from them but BF closed shop before I got mine. They remodeled my whole foretravel in 2008. They have a full remodel center and fabrication experience too. They are in Nacogdoches and are great to work with.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
DoodleMom

Post by DoodleMom »

Thanks for this info! I'll keep them in mind.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”