Interstate/Road Weigh stations... how do you know if you should pull in?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ScotManG

Interstate/Road Weigh stations... how do you know if you should pull in?

Post by ScotManG »

Hi,

Probably either an obvious answer or a weird question that leans more toward "depends on the state you pass through" (or something)... we have a 2013 27RSB on a Ford E450 chassis... to date, haven't towed anything behind but now intend to flat tow a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr. How do you all handle this on the road when it comes to police weigh stations (on interstates, etc.)? To date, without the towed vehicle in place, and passing through PA, MD, VA, TN, NC, SC, GA, NY we have not pulled into one. Were we suppose to? Now that we intend to flat tow the Jeep, does that now matter even more? Do you all pull into weigh stations when you see them and simply get waved through? Your experiences with this would be a big help.

Note: the BF Dodgen tag on the door, says GVWR is 14,500 but I believe the previous owner had it on a CAT (or rally based) scale (no tow car with it) at around 12,000lbs. The Jeep we intend to flat tow comes in at GVWR of 4,900lbs but that is "unloaded".

Thanks in advance and sign me as:

Generally confused about many RV things (but trying to learn fast),
Scott
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
South central Pennsylvania
2013 Born Free 27 RSB
perleys

Re: Interstate/Road Weigh stations... how do you know if you should pull in?

Post by perleys »

That is a great question! I have never stopped since I am not a commercial vehicle even though I am at 14,000 lbs. I found a pretty good blog on it. An it sure sounds like it varies state by state. You can check out the blog and see what you think. I was surprised to see my state MO on there but for MO it says over 18,000 lbs!

https://rvlifestyle.com/do-5th-wheel-ca ... n%20states.
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

I can’t remember the state, but early on with our first 24RB, I pulled into a weigh station. They looked at me funny and asked why I pulled in. Even though I was over the specified weight, they said it was only for commercial trucks. I have never stopped at one since.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
ScotManG

Post by ScotManG »

Thank you for the comments! I think you are spot on, I suspect too, across all states. Law Enforcement would focus on commercial (which gives them plenty to do in today's trucking world).

Thanks again all!
--
Scott & Denise Galloway
South central Pennsylvania
2013 Born Free 27 RSB
John S.

Post by John S. »

RV are exempt from weigh stations even the big Prevost busses. There was a state that wanted to weigh them but the rv industry fought it and said people would not travel thru their state then. The reason Tag axels became so popular is that why busses and RV have a higher Rear axle rating up to 23k pounds the turnpikes coming out of Indiana would not let them get on over 20K so they started putting tags on. Also Newell has a button to push to remove weight front he drive and put it on the tag to go thru a toll booth so they are allowed on the road but then they are fine to put the weight back on the drives. It is all because of different rules for different classes and the toll roads wanting to protect their roadbed.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
northstarfire0693

Post by northstarfire0693 »

I pull a GD 397TH and I never pull into weigh stations. If you are not a commercial vehicle, dont worry about it.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”