Battle born batteries

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

M&M Waites

Battle born batteries

Post by M&M Waites »

Has anyone replaced their old lead batteries with these new Lithion Ion batteries? Any advice you can offer? Thank you.
tomzleapin

Re: Battle born batteries

Post by tomzleapin »

I purchased a Renogy 170 AH lithium battery two years ago at Walmart for $980. This was probably a mistake because shortly after it went up to $1400. Solar is my main power source so I upgraded my charge controller to one rated for lithium. It's also recommended that you upgrade your converter/charger but since I am seldom hooked to shore power I did not upgraded. So far it has worked great. Battle Born, Renogy, and several other brands are considered "drop in" replacement batteries. This means that they have built in circuitry that will prevent you from doing bad things to them.

Go to YouTube and do a search for Will Prowse. He has done several videos on lithium batteries.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
M&M Waites

Post by M&M Waites »

Thank you for your info. I will check out the U tube for Will .
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

I installed two Battle Born batteries (BB10012 - Battle Born 12V 100Ah) one Progressive Dynamics Replacements WFCO RV Power Centers 45 Amp Lithium Converter, one ORI121236120 - Orion-TR Smart 12/12V-30A Isolated Charger, and one Victron BMV 712 battery monitor with bluetooth. All in all I like the system. The batteries lasted over 12 hours with lighting load, the TV on for a while and the heater on overnight when the temp is dipping below freezing. The batteries did not go below 40% of capacity.

I am satisfied with the battery capacity, the Progressive Dynamics Converter works well. So does the BMV 712. The readout on my phone is great.

The 12v/12v charger did not need to be isolated. Plus I am having an issue with the voltage dropping while the 12v/12v converter is charging the batteries. This was causing the charger to shut down, then the voltage would increase, the charger would start & the voltage would drop. So I disconnected the charger until I can troubleshoot my alternator & charging system. I suspect a bad connection, although it could be an alternator / voltage regulator issue.

I plan on installing 2ea 175 watt solar panels, but that has not happened yet. Once they are installed I think I will add a switch so I can turn off the 12v/12v converter when I am driving in nice weather. Let the solar panels charge the house batteries.

I won’t be able to get to the solar panels or charging system until August due to work, as I will be joining a ship, hopefully this afternoon. (I am presently in Covid isolation in a Singapore Hotel)

Good Luck!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”