The Chinook is back, if only Born Free could be so lucky

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

The Chinook is back, if only Born Free could be so lucky

Post by stevek »

Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
whemme

Re: The Chinook is back, if only Born Free could be so lucky

Post by whemme »

If you dig thru their website you will learn this: Jeff Butler, General Manager of Product Production at Chinook RV.

Jeff is the past president of Born Free and he walked out of the company about a week before it was shut down by the investment group owners, leaving the Born Free employees in the dark.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

Good to know, Bill. Thank you. I think the quality of Born Free is better than any new Chinook. I almost had my own '08 Born Free 27' RSB, but it sold to the first buyer the minute it hit the market last weekend out of MN for $40K !!!!!!

Bill, do you happen to know whatever became of the man in Colorado who was talking about re-opening Born Free ? I forgot his name but I think he was a previous Born Free employee. I'd love to hear your input as I consider you the Born Free encyclopedia! I'm currently living in Colorado and would LOVE to tour any production factory here. Thank you!
whemme

Post by whemme »

I believe Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club member Nick McClain knows something about that Colorado man. You can look up his Nick's contact info in our Membership Roster to contact him or he might see this post.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
nrmcclain

Post by nrmcclain »

I believe he is a former employee at BF and appears to be interested in resurrecting Born Free RV at some point. He now works for the specialty vehicle upfitter company located in Colorado which purchased the Born Free fiberglass molds when the factory closed. He says he looks forward to the return of Born Free and when they start talking about building RVs he will let us know.

This and other updated information concerning the possible resurrection of Born Free and the ongoing resurrection of Chinook was emailed to the membership in a club Newsletter on October 5th last year. (*** not the issue emailed on approximately October 21st)

For additional information (his name and etc.) please see the Newsletter referenced or the membership roster for my contact information.

Nick McClain
2006 24’ RB
stevek

Post by stevek »

The Toyota Chinook is making a come back.
https://japanesenostalgiccar.com/toyota ... ma-camper/

Some videos exist on the build.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”