What powers what?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

smitchel

What powers what?

Post by smitchel »

Hello....hoping for a little assistance here. We just got back from our first trip in our new (used) 2002 BF Bed and Breakfast Class B. As new RV owners we are figuring out what powers what. The key page from the manual is attached (
What powers what
What powers what
IMG_1871.JPG (32.42 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
)but we are not sure it is accurate (or perhaps it covers all models not just ours and some models are different).

The main question: Specifically, the fridge and water heater do work from propane and the fridge works from electric when the engine is running. Fuses seem ok but neither work when we are plugged into mains AC, which we assume they should do.....yes? Any thoughts welcome.

In addition, we do have a breaker, that the panel says is for the Outlets, that won't reset (middle one in the attached image
Breaker panel
Breaker panel
IMG_1884.JPG (42.05 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
) and two of the outlets don't work as a result, but I assume that wouldn't affect the fridge or water heater. Correct?

Appreciate any advice with thanks.

Steve and Ronna
Kent, Ohio.
whemme

Re: What powers what?

Post by whemme »

Steve, your Born Free is probably equipped the same as my 2002 26’ RSB coach. Your refrigerator will run either on propane or 115 vac power selectable on the refrigerator control panel. Of course to run on 115 vac power you must be either plugged into a shoreline power source or have you generator running. Running your cab engine will not provide a source of 115 vac power, doing that only charges your house battery(s).

If you can’t reset the outlets ac power breaker then of course all of your outlets will be dead when plugged into shoreline power or when running your generator. Make sure you toggle that breaker to its OFF position before trying to reset it.

Now some of your outlets may have power to them from an optional installed inverter. Is your coach equipped with an inverter as you say some outlets work without being plugged into shoreline power?
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

We had a similar problem with our refrigerator. The fridge would work on propane, but when plugged into the shore power, it would not run. After several repair attempts, it was determined that the original converter (AC -120V to 12V-DC) was not producing the required voltage to power the fridge control panel, which operates on 12V. I replaced the converter. There are several posts in the library regarding a converter replacement. The converter is behind your fuses and breakers.

To diagnosis the converter problem, unplug your shore power. Go to the fridge outside access panel. Unplug the fridge from the outlet and plug into a cord plugged into a house or garage outlet. Go to the fridge control panel and switch it to AC. If the fridge works on AC, it proves that the converter is not producing enough volts to operate the control panel. The fridge control panel is being powered by the house batteries, which is why it is working in this test. This test was found on http://www.thenorcoldguy.com

The converter takes over for the house batteries, to power all of the lights, stove hood fan, roof fans, monitor panel, fridge control panel and water heater control valves when connected to shore power. It also charges your house batteries.

It appears that your coach still has the original converter. The original converters have a history of failing. The new Smart converters are much more efficient and charge the house batteries in a more timely manner.

FYI, you may also have other fuses and another breaker box under your vanity for additional features on your coach.

There are several needles in this haystack, so maybe this helps to find one of the needles.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
whemme

Post by whemme »

WardPAW wrote:The converter is behind your fuses and breakers.
Actually with the Parallax 7345, the charger/converter is located below the breaker and fuse panel section - not behind it.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
smitchel

Post by smitchel »

Bill and Ben, thanks so much. That feedback is really helpful and gives me plenty to go on. Interestingly the AC did power the roof air con unit and the microwave, so is that a case of the converter being sufficient for those two appliances but not the fridge or water heater?

Steve
whemme

Post by whemme »

smitchel wrote:Bill and Ben, thanks so much. That feedback is really helpful and gives me plenty to go on. Interestingly the AC did power the roof air con unit and the microwave, so is that a case of the converter being sufficient for those two appliances but not the fridge or water heater?

Steve
The charger/comverter has nothing to do with powering your 110 vac AC powered appliances such as your air conditioner or microwave or AC outlets. They are powered directly from being plugged into shoreline power or by running you generator. Your Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter is used only to charge your house battery(s) and to power your DC powered applanacis such as you interior lights and Fantastic fan

Again, is your coach equipped with an inverter as you say some outlets work without being plugged into shoreline power?
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
smitchel

Post by smitchel »

Bill, there is no indication anywhere in the documentation I have that my coach has an Inverter. Is there a way to check?

Steve
whemme

Post by whemme »

Steve, well you seemed to indicate that one or more of your ac outlets had power without being plugged in shoreline power or with the generator running. The only way for this to be possible is that those particular outlets must be getting power from an optional inverter itself being powered by your coach battery(s).
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
smitchel

Post by smitchel »

Got it Bill, thanks. Again, appreciate all your advice on this.

Steve
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I’ve read these and I think there is some confusion regarding the refrigerator. As we know your refrigerator will operate on propane or 120 volt AC provided by either shore power or your generator. But there is a controller on your refrigerator that is used to set it to receive propane or shore power and establish the temperature setting from 1 to 9. This control panel operates on 12 volts DC. If it does not have power neither propane nor shore power will operate your refrigerator. I do not have my BF handy to check the fuse panel but someone who does can verify if there is a a fuse there for the controller.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”