Overhead cabinet struts

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Photobug

Overhead cabinet struts

Post by Photobug »

My overhead cabinets have struts. As far as I can tell they just keep the cabinets from swinging out and from slamming. Are/were they also supposed to keep the cabinet open in the up position? I just saw a different style of van with struts that hold the doors in the upward position.
tomzleapin

Re: Overhead cabinet struts

Post by tomzleapin »

The hinge is supposed to hold the door open. Here's a link to the needed hinge which was mentioned by WardPAW which is an H-HS100-SN:

https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/H-HS100-SN

I just ordered 8 from eBay for $5.99 ea plus tax.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
whemme

Post by whemme »

Tom, photobug has a BF with the newer type cabinets that use different type hinges and hydraulic struts instead of the type of hinges you referred to in your post above.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Photobug

Post by Photobug »

whemme wrote:Tom, photobug has a BF with the newer type cabinets that use different type hinges and hydraulic struts instead of the type of hinges you referred to in your post above.
Thanks Bill,
I was about to run out and buy some hinges after going out to check my setup first.

So you are saying the hydraulic strut is just designed to keep the cabinet doors shut and from slamming?
whemme

Post by whemme »

No. Properly operating struts should hold a cabinet door open when opened. Do none of your struts work that way?
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Bill,
As usual, you are a treasure trove of info. I did a screen capture of a 2009 Born Free video showing the cabinet hinge/strut. It's hard to tell if the struct is a separate part.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

There is a small amount of oil in the strut to keep the O-ring and rod lubricated. In the photo that Tom posted, the struts are installed upside-down. If installed as in the photo, the oil drains away from the seal and the gas escapes the dry seal. The struts will last much longer if the rod portion of the strut is pointed down.
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I just received my eBay order and they are identical to my existing hinge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124762164893?s ... 2749.l2649

Keep in mind that my coach is a 2005.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”