Coach battery recommendations?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stephenjvoorhees

Coach battery recommendations?

Post by stephenjvoorhees »

I have a 2011 RSK with the original al house batteries, and it is time for an upgrade. Any recommendations? Bonus points if you know where I can buy and have them installed near or around Portland, Oregon.

Thanks in advance!

Steve
whemme

Re: Coach battery recommendations?

Post by whemme »

Your Born Free probably came originally equipped with Interstate SRM-27 deep cycle coach batteries. I am currently on my 3rd set of Interstate batteries and found that with proper care will last around 5 years. I actually replaced mine with the larger size and capacity SRM-31 batteries. They will fit your carrier if you remove the wood block spacer. Look up on the internet for an Interstate battery store near you.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
stephenjvoorhees

Thanks, Bill. I was able to remove the old batteries and install the new Interstate batteries in about 20m. I found the Interstate batteries at All Season Marine and RV in Bend, Oregon. The salesman gave a helpful tip: takes some photos of the old battery setup before replacing so you don’t have to remember where all the wires go - assuming you are not electrical/tech savvy like me.

The Interstates are working great so far.

Steve
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Some additional points to also consider when it's time to replace batteries:

Costco batteries are Interstate brand w/ quite reasonable pricing and a better warranty program.

Also, where you have 2 12v batteries in parallel, consider replacing them with 2 6V batteries in series. This eliminates external eddy currents that can shorten battery life.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
stephenjvoorhees

Bill, another question: do the Interstates require any maintenance to keep them going for 5 years? If so, what and how often? Thanks in advance!

Stephen
petrie

Post by petrie »

HI, and help!!!

I'm new to the forum. but I was hoping someone could help me with house batteries . I purchased a 2002 26RB. but there is only 1 battery in there. and not a good one. smart start marine 24dcmj 85ah from O' Riley's. does anyone have a picture on original wire setup and what size cross cables I would need?

thanks so much
Elaine

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”