New Solar Installation

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mgilles0

New Solar Installation

Post by mgilles0 »

I am posting a step by step installation guide based on my recent DIY project on my 2015 Born Free Freedom. A PDF file is attached. I am not an expert but I welcome any questions about my project.
Attachments
My Solar Installation Step by Step.pdf
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 238 times
tomzleapin

Re: New Solar Installation

Post by tomzleapin »

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
John S.

Post by John S. »

Thanks for the information. I have debated doing this very thing but wondered if just having two batteries made it worthwhile.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Nice write-up. One problem with your install is that your panels are mounted too low. This will allow shadows to be cast onto the panels. A small shadow can result in completely cutting off the output of a panel. It would be better to raise up the panels to the height of the air conditioner if possible.

You mention that the drawing furnished showed batteries in series and that your batteries are in parallel. To clarify, the series connected batteries would be 6 volts each which would add up to 12 volts. Your parallel connected batteries would be 12 volts each.

If your system is working well for you, great. For folks considering solar try to place your panels where there will be the least amount of shadowing.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”