Refrigerator replacement

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tomzleapin

Refrigerator replacement

Post by tomzleapin »

My fridge died on me and I have a new one on order. My coach is a '05 24RB and getting the old one out through the door was a major struggle. If the new one is even slightly larger it will not fit through the door. The only option would be to remove one of the side windows. I thought that the glass panels would just lift out but it looks like I would have to remove the whole window assembly. Hopefully I am missing something. Any thoughts?
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
tomzleapin

Re: Refrigerator replacement

Post by tomzleapin »

Fortunately the depth of the new fridge is a bit shorter. Had to remove the door handles and the top trim and it went through the door with no problems. The new fridge is a Norcold same brand as the old. I opted for the 12 volt compressor type (No propane). I most likely will have to make a change for the venting of the new one because it doesn't need outside air. If left unchanged there most likely would be a draft coming in. The new one draws more current than a propane model. When it's running it draws about 5 amps. With my larger battery and solar I should not have a problem.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
lafons

Post by lafons »

Does a new 12 volt need to be level or is it like a residential model?
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

It's the same as a residential model in that it has a compressor. It does not have to be level. I've been in Florida for almost a month and if the days are mostly sunny my solar keeps me charged up. For days that are cloudy or mostly cloudy I have to run my generator for a few hours.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
lafons

Post by lafons »

I’m very interested in this. Could you share more information? How many battery’s and what type and size ? What size solar, does it not also work on AC power when plugged in.
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I have a single 170 amp-hour Renogy lithium battery. My solar consists of 4 panels, a single 125 watt on the roof, two 100 watt panels and one 85 watt panel are mounted on the driver side of the coach. The side panels can be tilted up or can be removed and set out in the sun. The fridge is a Norcold DE0061 and will work on 12 volt DC or 120 volt AC. The rough opening size is the same as the Norcold that it replaced. Since the new fridge does not need outside air the outside vents need to be blocked off.

Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
lafons

Post by lafons »

Thanks great information, sounds like the way to go! Thanks for the comprehensive information. I especially like the safety side of this and not having to be absolutely level. We do a lot of overnight boondocks maybe for a couple days but not much longer.
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”