Possible power for BF 24RB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Fritzsbikes

Possible power for BF 24RB

Post by Fritzsbikes »

As a new owner of a BF, I realized that I have no 110 AC UNLESS THE LOUD GENERATOR OR SHORE POWER IS CONNECTED.
I found at a local yard sale a LEOCH AGM Battery LDC-12-285-8D and a Whistler 1600W inverter.
I have a 100 Watt harbor freight solar kit.
Is it possible to hook these up and use a cable to provide 110 AC to my motor home."? And mount the solar to my toad. The battery weighs about 170 lbs.and I plan to keep it in the toad, a small Ford ranger pickup..
Any advice or warnings would be appreciated..

Fritz & Carol Maiser
24’ RB Built for two 1999
2006 Ford Ranger tiny toad.
tomzleapin

Re: Possible power for BF 24RB

Post by tomzleapin »

Your biggest problem will be keeping your battery fully charged. A lead/acid battery (which an AGM is) needs to be fully charged on a regular basis otherwise it will begin to sulfate. 100 watts of solar isn't near enough to do this. Your inverter generates a Modified Sine Wave (MSW) output. This is fine for most things but some will not run. My charger for my battery drill needs a Pure Sine Wave (PSW). Also my "Kill-O-Watt" meter does not like MSW. I've learned that electric blankets and laser printers don't work on MSW.

It would be better to have the battery in your coach. AGM batteries do not need to be vented and can be mounted on their side if needed. BUT, it's not a good idea to mix battery types such as AGM and flooded lead/acid (which is what you most likely have).

Two years ago I upgraded to a 170 amp/hour Renogy lithium battery. I also have 400 watts of solar. This combination is working very well for me.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
whemme

Post by whemme »

Unfortunately I think that battery is probably too large to fit in your BornFree’s battery compartment. And it’s weight at 173 lbs would also probably be too heavy for the battery compartment structure to support that much weight if the battery would in fact fit.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

My tray which had two 6 volt golf cart batteries and weigh 66 lbs each almost fell out on the ground. As Bill suggests, not likely to support 170 lbs. and most likely would not fit. Here's my solution to beef up the compartment:
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Fritzsbikes

Post by Fritzsbikes »

Okay. Great advise. The beast battery will be left at home this trip. Gonna use the solar to keep the toads battery charged so the RVI Toad Brake won’t quit mid drive, although the brake folks assure me that the brake didn’t use continuous power. So far it’s been several neighborhood blocks. Trip starts Monday.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”