New to site and my rv, using external generator, tips

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Sampsp

New to site and my rv, using external generator, tips

Post by Sampsp »

I am planning to use a Honda 2200 generator. My on board generac is not working. No local repair or parts. I am new to this 2007 chassis 27 foot rsb, with a 2008 rv body. I need some info about mechanics of plugging external gen to rv shore power input. Do I need to make any converter changes. Or can I just plug to rv input connector. Ty pp
tomzleapin

Re: New to site and my rv, using external generator, tips

Post by tomzleapin »

To use a Honda generator you will need a 15 amp to 30 amp adapter. I suggest using one that has a 90 degree 15 amp plug. this will put less strain on the generator socket. Here's a couple types available:
Image Image

This is also true if you are plugging into the 15/20 amp socket at a campsite power post. Use the 30 amp socket at the camp power post if available.

It's best to switch the main breaker in the converter panel off before plugging the shore power cord into your generator or the camp power post. Once connected turn the breaker at the power post and your converter on. If you have no power, this would indicate that you have a problem with your ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch).

There's no need to make any changes to your converter..
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Sampsp

Post by Sampsp »

Thank you Tom. I have a 1976 Vw convertible in my garage. Salutations, phil
melamax

Post by melamax »

If you ever think of solar..I have been thru it...Very Very happy with outcome..Can advise my tribulations ...
At moment have 400watts on top, able to play off grid quite a bit.. :) Art Krause
daryl&mary

Post by daryl&mary »

71 VW Convertible here, now set up for towing thanks to good advice from Tom.

Also had a Honda 2000 generator that we used with a previous "non-generator" RV. Worked great. Looks like the 2200 has a bit more power.

Daryl
Daryl & Mary
2006 BFT

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”