Catalytic Converter Stolen

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

daryl&mary

Catalytic Converter Stolen

Post by daryl&mary »

After hearing horror stories on the news, it happened to us. Went to start up the BF, and was greeted with a LOUD roar. Hoped it was only the muffler, but the catalytic converter was gone. Seems to be a big problem here in AZ.

About $1500 to repair by a local Ford dealer. Aftermarket, as the original is no longer available. That may be good as on-line opinions suggest they are less likely to be stolen. Seems the the thieves prefer the originals.

BF was in a supposedly "secure" storage facility in Mesa, but we are now moving to what we hope is a better facility. Nice place in the past - been there for a many years. Manager admitted four stolen recently, and that some people were living in their RVs - ugh. My guess is more losses will be discovered as people get their RVs out of storage. Off for a trip soon, so glad to have it repaired. Wishing all happy summer travels!

Daryl
Daryl & Mary
2006 BFT
tomzleapin

Re: Catalytic Converter Stolen

Post by tomzleapin »

The same happened to me last fall right in my driveway. I have insurance but is $500 deductible. The OEM converter is available in my area to the tune of $3000 plus parts and labor. I was getting ready to hit the road and head for Florida so rather than wait I opted to bypass the converter with a section of flex tubing and a couple of clamps. Cost was about $45. The coach ran great and was only slightly louder.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”