Need advice re: GPS

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Linda Giuliani

Need advice re: GPS

Post by Linda Giuliani »

We are considering the purchase of a portable GPS unit to use in our cars, using in rental cars when we fly to other cities as well as to use in the BF. We currently use a Garmin GPS 18 powered by a notebook computer in the coach. We will likely continue to use this from time to time on long trips as it has all the features we require in the coach. However, the computer is too large for carrying in our everyday vehicles or carrying in luggage on the plane. Hence the search has begun for another unit. (Can't ever have too many tech toys, eh?)

I know there are several BF users of the Garmin Street Pilot 2700 series (the 2730 has been discontinued and replaced by the smaller unit but larger screened NuVi 6600). The 2730 (and 2720) unit has advantages of a remote control (rather than having to touch the GPS screen - which on vehicles with large windshields might be hard to reach) and being able to set "via" points along the way to force a specific route to be used. It also appears to have good voice volume for directions which is important in the BF and our trucks. However, the screen is tiny compared to the new Garmin NuVi 660 and the body of the unit is very bulky compared to every other unit we have seen. This is a disadvantage for moving between vehicles and especially carrying on airplanes. It appears the 2700 series is moving towards extinction and the feature that apparently is going away is the "via" point capabilities. I use this feature a lot in the coach, but would I miss it in my car?

Features available on the 2730 which several of you listed as desirable feeatures - like Blue Tooth, XM radio, traffic conditions, weather, etc. are not really important to us as we have other sources covering those needs.

We are just trying to decide what features will have to be compromised in order to fill our primary desires; must have good volume on voice commands, screen big enough to touch easily OR a remote control), unit bulk, screen visability (too small is useless for fingers or eyes) and a screen that works well in all light situations. Is the "via" point routing important to any of you? Could you live without it and just let the GPS auto route you?

We are limiting ourselves to the Garmin brand at this point unless someone can convince us otherwise. Their customer support has been great and from what I read on other forums, their units perform very well compared to other brands.

I would appreciate advice any of you would care to share - either opnions or personal experiences. It appears this will be "my" Christmas gift, so "we" must choose wisely!

Thanks!
whemme

Recommended Garmin GPS

Post by whemme »

Linda,

I am on my 2nd Garmin GPS in my BF motorcoach and I really recommend the Garmin products having in the past used their aviation GPS units in aircraft.

I currently have a Garmin StreetPilot 2610 that has been discontinued and effectively replaced by the StreePilot 2720 and it would be the unit that I would recommend. It has both touch screen and remote control operation. Whether you want to spend the extra money on the features that are in the 2730 is your choice. You will find that the remote control is the preferred method to operate the unit as using the touch screen method in my opinion requires too much diversion of your attention while driving - kind on like operating a cell phone while driving which I don't recommend either!

You will get both a permanent mount and a portable 'bean bag' mount. The permanent mount is used to mount my 2610 directly above the speedometer panel in my B/F and the bean bag mount is used in the toad when I arrive at the destination. The verbal turn instruction feature works quite well and the volume can to adjusted up to quite loud.

Here is a website that provides very extensive reviews on the features of many different automotive type GPS systems and I would recommend that you read the reviews on the various units that you are considering: http://gpsinformation.net/

You may already know this but here is the Garmin factory direct website link to the 2720 product: http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2720/

There are many online sources for Garmin automotive GPS's. but here is a link to one that I have had good luck with in the past: http://www.tvnav.com/ Their current price for the 2720 is $685.

It seems to be the nature of the beast that any GPS unit you buy now will be discontinued and replaced by another model within a year or two. If you are one to wait until the next model comes out before you buy, you will never own one!
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

We have the 2730 and would not leave home without it ~~ screen size was initially of concern to us, but resolution and color vividness are excellent, so even our “less than youngâ€
Last edited by BornFree_n_Now on Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

We also have the Garmin 2720 and also do not leave home without it. It continuously amazes me as to the obscure streets and addresses it has in it's memory. I love the ease of downloading updates to it from the Garmin website. Garmin sends you an email when the latest update is available for downloading. Also, I think the screen contrast and lighting is excellent for the varying lighting conditions you encounter on the road.
bechlumber

GPS

Post by bechlumber »

I use the Garmin 2720 also. I move it between my Born Free and my jeep and took it to Denver and used it in a rental car. I thought I would be using the remote control a lot but do not because the touch screen is easy and fast to use. The map is very detail even with country dirt roads.
We were also able to use it on many of the 4x4 roads we traveled in Colorado at the Born Free Rally last summer. :D
2002 24' Rear Bath 4x4 7.3 Diesel
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Greg/Linda

Probably shouldn't bother mentioning this since you have limitied your search to Garmin units only, but IMHO a unique coach such as the Born Free deserves a unique GPS.

Accordingly, you might want to take a look at the soon-to-be-released, new Lowrance iWay 600C (GPSCity.com pre-order price of $650). In addition to most all of the features of the more expensive Garmin units, it has a 16-bit color TFT touch-screen, 640H x 480V, super bright, 5" display; high-detail, "bird-eye-view", satellite imagery with street overlays; an included marine mode with over 3,000 enhanced U.S. lake maps with depth contours for inland waters, high-detail NauticPathâ„¢ charts for the Great Lakes and coastal U.S. waters with depth contours, navaids, port services, tide/current data , and more; a built-in full-featured stereo MP3 audio player; a built-in full spectrum FM modulator that wirelessly streams music through an open FM radio channel; and a 30GB internal hard drive (25GB of storage dedicated to high-detail mapping and satellite imagery, 5GB of storage reserved for MP3 audio files and JPEG image files). Additionally, map overlays are infinitely customizable to the users needs.

All of the specs for this unique GPS can be viewed here:

http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/Prod ... AY600C.asp

I have the older generation iWay 500C with fewer features and have been extremely pleased with it.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

I have the 2720 and miss the "via" capability. So I lie to the unit and tell it I am going to a point that on my older unit would be a "via". When I am at or near this psudo via point I then give it a new point to get me where I want to go. This is a pain and I think we need to tell Garmin we want "via" capability

Jim
Linda Giuliani

Thanks for the responses!

Post by Linda Giuliani »

I appreciate all the response to my query!

We physically examined the Garmin 2720 and the new Garmin Nuvi 660 today. Except for the remote control and alleged "via" point capabilities, the Nuvi is a clear winner. (Small body, bigger screen size, the screen was incredibly easy to touch program compared to the smaller 2720.) Especially since we sourced them both on gpsdiscount.com at virtually the same price - $695 for the 2720 and $722 for the Nuvii. In the fine print we would have to spend $55.00 additional for a bean bag mount and auto dash mount on the Nuvi., So it's about $80 more for the new technology.

In buying a computer we always buy the newest technology we can since we know it will be obsolete very quickly. But unlike a computer, this GPS will be more of a "nice to have, not necessary" and we already use our computer gps in the coach. HOWEVER, the tried and true 2720 is very tempting because it is a proven winner for several of you.

Jim Hoffman, I may have been confused into thinking we could "program" the 2720 and force it to go on the road we wanted as opposed to the one it wants to route us on (I fight to get my way on the computer gps and go to great lengths and much time to program the via points so we go the back roads we prefer). The new Nuvi 660 will only allow you to program one destination point and I'm not certain from the fine print that you have much say on the specific routing (other than choosing some overall preferances). Perhaps the 2720 and the Nuvi 660 are more similar than I had thought. I may call Garmin and discuss this with a trained professional rather than try to disect the information on-line.

How interesting that we easily justified putting an expensive automated satellite dish on top of the coach for our internet connection (business purposes) but are hand wringing the decision of a small gps unit. DUH!!

Much thanks to all of you who have responded! We are still weighing all the choices. Guess we better decide quickly or Santa won't have a gift for me under the tree! (Actually it might be more of a gift for Greg since my map reading isn't always reliable!)

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all!
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I have an OLD :shock: Garmin StreetPilot II.

It still works and I just got the latest mapping update for it. But I've held off installing and paying for it trying to decide if I should upgrade the unit.

I like the screen size of the Nuvi 660, but I don't care about the MP3, Bluetooth, or looking at pictures on it. Feel like I'm paying for features I will not use. I would like a basic GPS, but with the latest SIRF feature, the text to speech function, and the ability to put in multiple stops and have the GPS calculate the best route. The last is not critical, and I don't believe the 660 has that feature.

So I decided to wait until after Christmas to see if the prices will drop or some new models will debut.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL :D

John

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”