what size BF are fulltiming?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

firefly

what size BF are fulltiming?

Post by firefly »

I am new and haven't quite figured out how to get around this forum. I am planning on purchasing my first rv and was wondering if anyone has or is fulltiming in a 24 or 26ft size and has found that sufficient. Being new to all this I don't want to tow a car.
Judy Madnick

Re: what size BF are fulltiming?

Post by Judy Madnick »

firefly wrote:I am new and haven't quite figured out how to get around this forum. I am planning on purchasing my first rv and was wondering if anyone has or is fulltiming in a 24 or 26ft size and has found that sufficient. Being new to all this I don't want to tow a car.
There have been articles written about people full-timing in pop-ups and 20' camper vans. In other words, it depends on how "cramped" you're willing to be.
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

There have been fulltimers in 24ft and 26ft Born Frees. I know one such couple that fulltimed for several years in a 24ft Rear Side Bed Born Free. Several years ago, they settled down in Idaho and eventually ended their RV travels.

Hopefully, those who may be fulltiming in Born Frees will respond to your question and share their experiences.
Barbara & Ken
firefly

fulltiming in a BF

Post by firefly »

Well, Judy it will be myself, a single woman and my two large, elderly felines. We don't want to be too cramped but I know that is very subjective. Thanks
Hike

Post by Hike »

I have been fulltiming in my 26RB for just over a year now. I have been very comfortable in it. The 26RB has more storage than the other floor plans which I think makes it the best fulltiming BF except for maybe the 32'. I haven't looked at that one since it is priced a little over my budget. :(

I tow a Honda CRV occasionally with no problems.

For a single person, I think this is a great size.
Judy Madnick

Post by Judy Madnick »

Hike wrote:I have been fulltiming in my 26RB for just over a year now. I have been very comfortable in it. The 26RB has more storage than the other floor plans which I think makes it the best fulltiming BF except for maybe the 32'. I haven't looked at that one since it is priced a little over my budget. :(

I tow a Honda CRV occasionally with no problems.

For a single person, I think this is a great size.
I can see why you would like the 26RB. With our "aches and pains" (and my CPAP machine) the bed would be a problem. Believe me, I wish the 26' would work for us . . . both moneywise and lengthwise!
firefly

what size BF for fulltiming

Post by firefly »

Dorothy, thanks for your response. I had seen pictures of the 26RB floorplan online and thought it looked pretty spacious. I was hoping not to have to tow. Had you driven an rv before or did you just learn to drive an rv and tow at the same time? Nancy
Hike

Post by Hike »

Judy, I have the adjustable single bed instead of the couch. Works great for me. I couldn't get in and out of the overhead area any more either.

firefly, I planned on towing when I start traveling fulltime because I didn't want to unhook all the time to make trips to town and sightseeing. Also didn't want to put all those miles on the motorhome. I plan to go to one area and use my car to explore the area. You do not need to tow with a 26' if that is your preference. This size vehicle can go most places and find parking in grocery stores and such. You may not be able to park in a lot of places though so keep that in mind.

I started with a 22' Class C which was not much different than driving a truck. Then I went to a truck and 26' fifthwheel. With that rig I took a class at the RV School to learn the tricks for handling it. Then I got the Born Free and back to no problem driving and backing. Just watch your height! :)
Hike

Post by Hike »

firefly, one more thought on towing a car. You cannot back up when you are towing. I haven't done very much towing yet but the car just travels along behind and you don't need to make many adjustments for it. Just remember the added length when changing lanes and keep a longer following distance since you may take longer to stop. If you do decide to tow be sure to get an auxiliary braking system in the toad.

It is a bit of a hassle hooking and unhooking the car, but I think the advantages outweight the disadvantages. Just my opinion.
Judy Madnick

Post by Judy Madnick »

Hike wrote:Judy, I have the adjustable single bed instead of the couch. Works great for me. I couldn't get in and out of the overhead area any more either. . . . I started with a 22' Class C which was not much different than driving a truck. Then I went to a truck and 26' fifthwheel. With that rig I took a class at the RV School to learn the tricks for handling it. Then I got the Born Free and back to no problem driving and backing. Just watch your height! :)
We've had a Class C and are familiar with the height issue. If we go ahead with a purchase, I would like to take RV driving lessons also.
robert

Braking with a tow

Post by robert »

It has been my experience that I can actually brake faster with a tow with its own braking system than I can with the motor home alone. You have four additional wheels on the ground stopping you from going forward.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”