Electric element for water heater

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Don Cannistraro

Electric element for water heater

Post by Don Cannistraro »

Has anyone installed an electric probe/element for their water heater to help conserve propane? Degree of difficulty??
w5vthdonb

Water heater

Post by w5vthdonb »

They are not hard to install. The main problem is the amount of current they will use depending on the element you purchase.
If you camp in a campground with minimal power, you have to remember that as long as the element is on and is heating the hot water, it will make the input AC voltage low, which can cause some electronic problems. An A/C takes about 12 amps without anything else running.
The large coaches with 50 amps service is not as much as a problem as when you only have 30 amps, and most large rigs have a voltage regulator they have purchased.
I found that the hot water heaters of today if used correctly really doen't take that much propane.
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

We agree on the propane usage. We turn our water heater on for 10 to 15 minutes and then turn it off. This gives us 2 "Navy" showers and water to do the dishes. I can't see a "payout" in electrifing the heater.
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

I agree with the others on minimal propane usage by HW heater. We turn ours off if we're going to be absent for a while and at night. The only advantage of electrifying that I see is if you plan on doing a lot of RVing at high altitudes where you might have some problems with the fuel/air mixture of the propane burner.
w5vthdonb

Water heater

Post by w5vthdonb »

We camped all last summer in CO, UT, WY, SD, and ND. Crossed the Continental divide many times. Camp in Denver, and Colorado Srings.
We never had any trouble with the propane hot water heater. Like the others say. Turn it on a little while, prior to use then turn it off after. In the morning if you need a shower, turn it on, make your coffee, and if you take a Navy shower (which my wife is better than I) you should not have any problems. If you travel to Canada and use an electric hot water heater in many of the campgrounds which provide 20 amp service, you are going to make many campers angry as it will trip their main breaker. Believe me, on our SMART carvavans we couldn't convince some people the trouble they were causing till we got them to shut off the electric hot water heaters.
Don
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Hey Don! Thanks for all the help with the awning in Door Cty! Have some pics of you and your other half at that one...

The 2005 comes with a electric/propane hot waterheater. That said, I usually use the propane, turn it on a few mins before I need it, use the HW and then turn it off...like everyone else says.

I've used a 20 amp service here for quite some time...haven't flipped any breakers when I did turn on the electric element, but I rarely do it...propane is faster. I usually turn the frig onto AC if I hve it also.

You might want to look at the hot water heaters that BF uses in the new models and see what they pull for amps. I'll look it up in a spell if you like, I'm in NH right now visiting friends. Living in the MH in their yard.

Fondly...(and DO say hello to your wife for me...and your granddaughter next time you see her) Are you guys coming to Branson?

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”