Heater

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CHARLOTTE

Heater

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Just returned from a 3 week visit to see my daughter & family in Southern Calif. They live 40-50 mi. south of L.A. (just to give you an idea of area). I parked at their home & was there during the worst weather I have ever seen in So. Calif. Most days were beautiful, but nights got really cool to downright cold. And of course the winds were frightening for several days, especially in the evenings. There were gusts that made me feel like the whole dearly loved BF was going to be lifted and tossed down the street. Of course their street is also lined with huge eucalyptus trees which I was parked under. Last year, the house next door to my daughter's was nearly destroyed due to a tree that toppled onto it. Yes, family were concerned for my safety, etc., but I chose to have the privacy of my BF which my son-in-law now calls the "Guest Cottage"...Anyway, before leaving home I had gone to CW and purchased a little heater (it's called 'Big Heat Cube') just in case I needed something I could run on electric only while down there (as I did have electric from their house to the BF). During the really cold nights & days...that heater was on constantly and did an absolutely wonderful job of keeping my BF warm & comfortable. It works on a thermostat of some kind and does turn on & off...but not so it disturbs you or is a nuisance. I ended up staying there much longer than I had planned due to the heavy winds & bad weather along the route I take to get home. Anyway, I finally was able to leave & get over the Grapevine which had previously been closed for periods, due to the extreme weather & wind conditions. But what I wanted to share with all of you was that little heater. It's 6"x6"x6"....you can store it anywhere and it does a great job. According to the website for CW, they are now out of stock...but if you can order one or get it somewhere else, I totally recommend it. I won't travel without it from now on. Best $ I've spent in a while....Just thought I'd share....
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

We've been using a small electric heater in our RV for the the last few years. I agree with Charlotte. Electric heaters are great in the BF. They keep it comfortably warm. They're quiet and don't use our propane. Our heater isn't quite as compact as the cube described by Charlotte. But it has a small fan that helps circulate the heat.. Larry
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I might add that I have the 26' RSB model & the little 'cube' heater (has a fan also) warms the whole RV including the cab area (as I have the inside cover for windshield and side windows & do not use the curtains)...it's amazing... :!:
Brent

Post by Brent »

Hello Charlotte, I agree those little heaters are great, I wouldn't be without mine.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
KTnLen

Post by KTnLen »

The item is the Broan 6200 thermostat, convection heater, producing 1200-1500W or 4100-5100BTU/hr. As mentioned, it is cubic, about 6-in to the side, and weighs about 3.5 lbs.

I checked with Camping World, and they have sold out of this product. Their catalogue number is 7365.

I have located them through another source, Electric Supply Online, Darby PA, and here is the link to the product page:
http://www.electricsupplyonline.com/pro ... 024820.php

At $46.48 plus shipping I went for two, one for in the house to use in rooms we normally don't heat all the time, and one for the RV. Thanks for the recommendation, gang. Len C. sends.
Attachments
Broan 6200 Electric Heater with Thermostat
Broan 6200 Electric Heater with Thermostat
Broan Big Heat Cube.jpg (20.08 KiB) Viewed 14231 times
thkurtz

Heat Strip vs. Cube Heater

Post by thkurtz »

We have a 2002 RSB with a heat strip and quite often use the heat strip instead of the furnace. What advanage is the Cube heater over the heat strip?
2002 RSB
Brent

Post by Brent »

I think you will hear a variety of opinions on this question.

From my personal experience and for temperatures that are most comfortable to me - outside temps that are freezing and below the heat strip doesn't keep me comfortable when used with the furnace. The portable heater does work for me.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Also, the AC heat strip runs continuously (unless you get up and turn it off) and is noisy. My compact ceramic heater (a little larger than the cube shown, has a thermostat that turns the heater on/off in order to maintain the set temperature, and when running, it is much quieter than the heat strip.

PS. I still use the heat strip in quick situations where I don't want to get the ceramic heater out and set it up.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I'm with Brent...for me the 'cube' is more effective especially when placed on the floor where it's the coldest...plus the noise factor when using the heat strip...The cube is nice & quiet. I store mine under my sofa where it's easily accessible and I can quickly plug it in & let it do it's job....love it. I'm going to order a second one now that KTnLen found a supplier (thank you), to use in my home... 8)
whemme

Broan/Nutone 6200 Portable Heater Source

Post by whemme »

I found another source for the Broan/Nutone Portable Heater mentioned above at a bargain price of only $33.92. The company is R & I Enterprise, Inc. located in Cincinnati, Ohio and their website link for this product is as follows: http://www.rinutonedistr.com/auxiliary.htm. The 6200 portable heater is listed as the last item on that page.

I called their 800 number (800-525-7194) to verify that the $33.92 price was valid and it was. Shipping via UPS ground is $7.50 for all orders under $200.00. So I ordered two heaters and the total bill including freight was only $75.34.

I would recommend calling in your order as in my opinion their online ordering page is not setup the best.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
KTnLen

Re: Broan/Nutone 6200 Portable Heater Source

Post by KTnLen »

whemme wrote:I found another source for the Broan/Nutone Portable Heater mentioned above at a bargain price of only $33.92. The company is R & I Enterprise, Inc. located in Cincinnati, Ohio and their website link for this product is as follows: http://www.rinutonedistr.com/auxiliary.htm. The 6200 portable heater is listed as the last item on that page.

I called their 800 number (800-525-7194) to verify that the $33.92 price was valid and it was. Shipping via UPS ground is $7.50 for all orders under $200.00. So I ordered two heaters and the total bill including freight was only $75.34.

I would recommend calling in your order as in my opinion their online ordering page is not setup the best.
Nice job, Bill. and as luck would have it, this morning I received a call from the source I quoted, and they told me they are out of stock, so I cancelled that order, called your source, and they had two left in stock. I agree that the online order form is pretty basic.

Oh, the power of collaboration and networking! Thanks again. Len C.
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Are any of these heaters safe to use with pets, especially dogs who like to sit in front of the furnace vent when it is on?

Judy Harris
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Judy Harris wrote:Are any of these heaters safe to use with pets, especially dogs who like to sit in front of the furnace vent when it is on?

Judy Harris
Tha is why I like a ceramic heater - it doesn't have that red hot metal element like the cube everyone is rushing out to buy. If you're interested, here is a compact ceramic heater for under $18 (and a very high consumer rating) at Home Depot:
http://tinyurl.com/2omfzv

Bill
Last edited by bcope01 on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Sorry Bill....my 'cube' does not get red hot...& the 'element' is inside behind a screen...the screen does not get red hot. Also, if the 'cube' should get tipped over, it automatically shuts off. It's nice that you are so happy with your ceramic heater so of course you don't have to 'rush out' to buy a 'cube'. However, my experience with the ceramic heater I have in my home is not a positive...It simply doesn't heat as well as my 'cube' & that is why I'm 'rushing' out to buy another 'cube'...but to answer Judy's question....I don't think I'd want my pet near any kind of a portable heater. Sitting on top of or near a vent is very different than being next to a plugged in (wire) appliance. Course if you place the heater high up where a dog won't be able to get to it....well....My particular dog I could trust wherever I put the heater....but I wouldn't take a chance anyway.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

The purpose of my post was not to denigrate anyone buying the cube heater, rather to offer a (safer, in my humble opinion) alternative. Sorry, but it sure looks like the heating element is red hot in the picture. All portable heaters max out at 1500 watts. 1500 watts equals about 5200 BTUs. Regardless of heating element, the effectiveness of all heaters rated at 1500 watts should be about the same. There are heaters, ceramic and other, that are rated at less than 1500 watts (i.e. 850 or 1100) Naturally, these wouldn't produce as many BTUs. I do use a ceramic heater in my BFT and am very happy with its performance. Just my $.02 :D

Bill
Attachments
red hot cube.jpg
red hot cube.jpg (21.7 KiB) Viewed 10856 times
Last edited by bcope01 on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”