General Coach Construction Guidelines?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ed & Idonna Bryson

General Coach Construction Guidelines?

Post by Ed & Idonna Bryson »

I've skimmed through most of the posts, including "Installing Backup Camera" and "Installing CB Radio Antenna" articles.

I have a generic question - What's between the fiberglass and the carpet?

Or put another way. Where can I drill holes, where can I not, where can I attach a screw, where can I not?

I've just bought our used 1997 24' RB and want to install a backup camera and do some other modifications. I don't mind 'exploring' and finding my way but if somebody who has been there done that would please give a rough description of the structure of the coach shell it would be a great help.

So as a specific - If I want to mount a backup camera above the window and below the 'roll' that comes down from the top, what is beneath the skin? is there a 2x4 boxing out the window area? What about the 'roll' itself? Born Free has mounted 5 little running lights, is there enough strength there for self tapping screws, is there a wire runway?

Another simple specific - A couple of the plastic 'thingies' that will hold a hatch door open are broken. Can I safely unscrew them and replace them without the holes getting stripped? What are they screwed into? Should I buy generics from Camping World, and the holes may not line up, or can/should I buy replacements from Born Free?

All of these things I can and will discover the hard way over the next few months and years and I'll try to post detailed explanations and photos in case other people are interested. But I'd appreciate a little knowledge from those with experience before I head out there with drill in hand and watch my RV run away in fright.

Thanx,

-Ed
1997 24RB President
"The Lion & The Lamb"
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the Born Free world!

When we visited the factory after buying our coach used, we were told not to drill or hammer into anything but a cabinet. They didn't want us to damage the wiring or anything else that lies between the carpet and the fiberglass. I'm sure owners who have done a lot of modifications will respond to you and be able to give you more detailed information regarding what is safe to do. But until then, you won't get in trouble following the factory advice.

Good luck!
Brent

Post by Brent »

On replacing the plastic pieces that hold open hatch doors - I just replace them at CW. I take my old one to match color and especially screw holes.

I've had all the replacements hold fine.

Sorry I don't what the walls contain, I had assumed plywood.

I don't drill new holes in the unit, I mounted the CB antenna to the ladder and would probably try to do the same with a camera.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”