Tow Hitch Length

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

TBNesbitt

Tow Hitch Length

Post by TBNesbitt »

This probably an old question, but I need some help. We recently bought a 2000 BF 24RB and I attempted to put on my Roadmaster tow bar only to find out that the pin location on the coach receiver was some six inches beyond the length of the tow bar! I've used this tow bar in several other RV's without a problem. Is there a solution? I'm thinking maybe I should take the rear bumper off and drill a new hole in the receiver. However, if there is an easier way, I'd like to hear it.
Mel Wilbur

Tow hitch length

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I am not sure about Roadmaster but on my blue ox I had the factory (aemfg) send me a replacement bar the length required and switched with my current one. However I have since added a door over the reciever, like the other two in the rear bumper, and gone with a short bar which works much better for me. This does require drilling a new hole for the pin but with the short bar and the access door it makes for an easy operation.
Mel & Connie
BornFree_n_Now

Tow Bar Length

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Another way to approach this matter is to remove the bar that slips into your receiver from your towing apparatus and carefully calculate the distance the hole needs to be in on the bar in order to reach the point where the hole is on the receiver. Then send your bar and exact hole measurement to the folks at Convert-A-Ball, to make a cushioned bar out of it (see http://www.2kstore.com/cam/cbl1.htm to see a representation of a cushioned ball mount).

I would not tow anything of weight without one of these cushioned mounts (also had them make a “correct lengthâ€
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

To resurrect an old thread...

I intend to tow both a toad on a tow dolly and, a 25' Bigfoot travel trailer with my Born Free (not at the same time, of course).

I went out to put a hitch in the receiver, and lo and behold, like TBNesbitt, I found that I can't use it as supplied. I expect I will pull the bumper off and have a new hole drilled as well, but is this common to all of the Born Free coaches, just specific years, or specific models?

Is there any reason for the odd hole arrangement supplied from the factory (other than not conveniently getting to it, of course)? Is there any engineering or structural issue I'm missing that should cause me not to drill a hole at the commonly used location? What WERE they thinking?

Thanks!

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
robert

Post by robert »

I had the same problem. I thought of drilling another hole, but I was assured by the "experts" that, although that would work, it would "weaken" my entire tow bar configuration, so I opted for the special BlueOx bar.

Before you drill another hole, I would look at other alternatives. Talk to Bornfree or to your tow bar manufacturer. Blue Ox makes a special tow bar connection just for the Born Free.

I also ended up with a six inch drop hitch so my tow bar would be level with my car. It is a lot easier on the front end of the car. I tow a 98 Honda V6.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Thanks, Robert. Born Free is on my "to call" list this morning. I have a tow dolly and plan to tow a travel trailer with the 23RK, so I need a standard hitch arrangement setup.

Roger
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Ok, here's the follow-up... chatted with Kim this morning at Born Free. He tells me that on page 14 of the owner's manual, that towing with a weight distribution hitch isn't recommended. Darn manuals. I'm SURE that if it weren't for what the manual says, it wouldn't be a problem... :lol:

The frame extension Born Free attaches to the Ford frame is reinforced for weight issues, but not for the "up" forces that a weight distributing hitch would apply to the frame extension.

I will be taking my coach to Midwest Frame in Iowa City this week and see what needs to be done to beef the frame up to accommodate the kinds of stresses I plan to put on it.

BTW, Kim also said that drilling a second hole in the traditional spot in the receiver to accept common hitch parts isn't an issue, other than the nuisance that it is to access it.

Thanks Kim!

Roger

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”