How far over GVWR is safe on a E350?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ed & Idonna Bryson

How far over GVWR is safe on a E350?

Post by Ed & Idonna Bryson »

Greetings -

As you may recall we just got a used 1997 24RB. I've just had the window fixed, installed new LTX tires, new Tireman valve stems, replaced the ball joints (rusted from sitting), replaced entire front brakes (rotor, caliper, etc because of rust), tuned up, aligned, flushed tranny, lubed and generally checked out stem to stern.

Ok so its ready for the road. I went and filled the LP tank, filled it with gas, hot water tank is drained, 3 gals of pink stuff in lines and tanks, maybe 25 pound of tools and stuff, myself @200#, my wife at much less (she'd shoot me for stating weight). Then I went to the local gravel yard just down the street and asked how much for a chassis weigh. He said nothing so I drove it on and got just a total weight since he was busy.

He told me 11,540. The unit does have all standard features plus Onan generator and HWH manual levelers. Nothing else in it!!

Upon returning home I read my manual and was shocked to see GVWR for the chassis is 11,500. So I'm already over it 'empty'.

If I add the following estimates every ounce will be overage:

Clothes, Linens, etc - 100#
Computers, TV, DVD's - 100#
Pots and pan & Groceries - 100#
6 Gal in water heater, 15 gals in other tanks - 125#
Hoses, tools, lawn chairs, etc. - 100#

So I'll be adding 525# of stuff (high estimate) and my rig will then weigh approximately 12,000, 500 over GVWR!!.

I'm running my tires at 80# so they should be ok, but what about the overage on the chassis etc.

If this has been covered before (I thought I saw something, but a search for weight or overweight or GVWR doesn't come up with anything) then please point me to the thread.

Or my other hope is that a trip to a Flying J with a CAT scale may give me a different starting point.

Thanx,

-Ed
1997 24RB President
"The Lion & The Lamb"
whemme

Overloaded 24' Rear Bath Born Free on E-350 Chassis.

Post by whemme »

The short answer to your question is any overload is not safe. That is probably why the factory quit building the 24' model on the E-350 chassis I believe in year 2000 and only builds them now the higher gross weight E-450 chassis.

The bigger and less understood problem is that the 11,500 lb gross weight limit is not the only weight limit that applies to your E-350 chassis. It also has a front axle limit of 4600 lbs and a rear axle limit of 7800 lbs. Even though that totals 12,400 lbs which of course is more than the rated total gross weight of 11,500 lbs, I think if you were to weigh separately your front axle load and your rear axle load that you will find your front axle load significantly under the 4600 lb limit but you will probably find your rear axle load may be over that 7800 lb limit.

My 2002 Born Free 26' RSB motorhome on the E-450 chassis (with a rated gross weight of 14,050 lbs) has a full up and in traveling condition front axle load of 4040 lbs and a rear axle load of 9220 lbs for a total weight of 13,260 lbs. However, the E-450's rear axle is rated for a load of 9450 lbs. So I am under both the axle limits and 790 lbs under the gross weight limit.

What you can do about your over-weight problem is limited. Tires, rims, brakes, springs, frame and axles all figure into the factory's weight limits and you can't beef up all of these items. Some will say just to keep your overloaded weight to a minimum and just go with it. Not my recommendation but others may say that.

But one thing you don't need to do and that is to run all six of your tires at 80 psi. That high a pressure is unnessary and will result in quit a rough ride. If you were to weigh each of the four corners of you motorhome in full up and traveling condition, you could then use the two downloadable tire inflation charts available from a separate website page in our Technical Library category topic that I posted earlier. The direct link to that page is as follows:
http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... highlight=

I think you will find that you could run about 50 to 55 lbs in your front tires and about 65 lbs in the rear duals for a softer ride.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Ed & Idonna Bryson

Post by Ed & Idonna Bryson »

Bill -

Thanx for your quick and concise reply. I will be doing at least an axle weight if not a four corner weight at the first opportunity and then will probably adjust the tires down a bit. I'd read your tire charts and will probably follow them +5#'s for a safety edge.

I guess my surprise and question for the group is if the E350 is already 'maxed' out with the factory options, two passengers, and full gas tanks then a WHOLE lot of 24' RB from 1980's and 1990's must be running overweight.

This was one thing I thought about before buying but the raves for all Born Frees and the double price for a 2001 unit vs. my 1997 unit made me take the chance.

I'm hoping I wasn't penny wise and pound (excuse the pun) foolish.

-Ed
1997 24RB President
"The Lion & The Lamb"
rjcorazza

Post by rjcorazza »

My 21' Born Free E350 is near capacity on the front axle, but under the GVW.
I would confirm your weight at another scale before doing too much else.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”