Retiring to a cab over bed?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Just curious about the above as I own a RSB model....(I have an entertainment center so don't have comments about the bed area above the cab)...However, my question is this: If you put a sofa instead of a bed in the rear bed area, what is the purpose? It seems to me that you lose some storage space under the bed, and as you can't put a table there anyway because there's not enough room....I'm just wondering why some one would consider that revision....Again, just curious.... 8)
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

We do have a small folding table from Camping World that fits OK but it is a bit of a nuisance to work with. (A "murphy" table is in the plans. It will fold flat to the bathroom wall.)

The rear sofa and table works nicely when we need computer or hobby space or when we need our own space. Jean can leave her sewing and machine out on the table and I'll take the TV back there occasionally when Jean wants to retire early. Or she will watch tv in the back while I read in the salon etc.

We wanted something more substantial than the curtain but its been working quite well for us as it is.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Thanks for replying...Now I understand and it sounds like a really workable solution for you...Interesting too...
MJBear

Post by MJBear »

Mike and Jean,Thanks for all your info, this helps us a lot as we get closer to decision time. I really like the idea of the RSS. that has been a concern living "on top of each other" in the small salon area which seems so crowded. A place to get away from each other can make the long journeys more pleasant all the way around.
Do you have the chairs and pull out table in the salon? They seem so jammed in that space. If we order new we're trying to decide if the dinette would be better.
How is your storage in that model? It looks like you give up most of the storage for that space in the back. So now that there is a place to work with a sewing machine but where do you store it? I'm a sewer, weaver, hands must be busy kind of traveler and always looking for the small but perfect motorhome solution.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I sleep in my overhead cab bed too. Can't sit up all the way. I have a very thick mattress pad in there now, and it makes it even less roomy, but way, way comfortable. Better than at home. don't have to fold up that bed if you don't want to, to drive. Leave it out. I learned that from another BF'er around here...

Just duck when you walk into the cab. Please.

It DOES get cold up there and I wish I had a remote for my a/c with heat strip so I could turn it on from in bed. That would help.

I see you are from MN. When you ask about cold, I guess you should define COLD.

Minnesota/Alaska cold? Or Arizona cold? 30 degrees or 30 below? At 30 below, I'd find a motel. At anything 'below' I'd probably be looking for a motel. At 30 above, it's not TOO bad but the floor gets cold. They could insulate these things better.

I haven't gone out this winter with mine. I did last year. It wasn't too bad until freezing, and I think it needs to be better insulated but that's just me, being a Minnesotan and knowing we have different ideas about both insulation and cold here.

I like the cab over bed. I can keep the dinette area a dinette. It's easy enough to climb up and down (and I have MS....but not too bad) and I'm alone. if I had to crawl over someone, that would be different. I do wish it were a bit warmer up there int he cold. It's plenty warm after the day heat starts in. Keeps me from sleeping till noon.

Good luck to you in your decisions.

PatTrish
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

MJBear wrote:A place to get away from each other can make the long journeys more pleasant all the way around.
Yes, it just adds that much more flexibility.
Do you have the chairs and pull out table in the salon? They seem so jammed in that space. If we order new we're trying to decide if the dinette would be better.
We have the recliners and foldup table. The space is tight but we slide the copilot seat forward when we park and have learned how to manage the recliners. It helps that we find them to be quite comfortable. I also disabled the swivel locks on them which helps.
How is your storage in that model? It looks like you give up most of the storage for that space in the back. So now that there is a place to work with a sewing machine but where do you store it? I'm a sewer, weaver, hands must be busy kind of traveler and always looking for the small but perfect motorhome solution.
I don't think we gave up that much storage in the rear. We still have the compartment under the RSS. Much of the area in front of the sofa is compartment space in the RSB but has the heating duct to the bathroom taking up some of that room anyway. We use the open space in front of the RSS for travel storage quite often because it can accomodate tall items that won't fit in any of the compartments (i.e., Jean's sewing machine). Most recently we brought 2 new bicycles home back there.

The RSS mods were done by the factory as if they were the standard configuration - perfectly professional.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
buchanan

sleeping in the cab over bed

Post by buchanan »

We have worn out one 24RB and now have an '03 24RB. WE both sleep over the cab, I sleep in front of the cab because I don't get up at night, my wife does. Works GREAT. I recommend a king size sleeping bag, in the morning, just roll it up and flip up the bed.

Russ and Joan Buchanan
Birmingham, Alabama

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”