Alaskan Trip

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mary Ann

Alaskan Trip

Post by Mary Ann »

Hi everyone! I am very excited about the Alaskan Caravan and am going! I've never been on a trip which will keep me away from home for about 2 months, and wonder if anyone has good advice about having first class mail forwarded. Please respond if you can. Also, I will be traveling with my dog, Sasha (a standard poodle). Any special advice about her on this trip. She has logged many Born Free miles and loves to travel.
Thanks,
Mary Ann :o
jhillis625

Post by jhillis625 »

Mary, we had our daughter take care of our mail while we were gone on our trips so I can't advise you on that part.
As for the pet be sure to have it's shot records and that they are up to date when entering Canada.
You could google Canada and find out additional information for entering Canada. Last time we were there was 2001 before 9-11.
Hope this helps some. It should be a nice trip.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Mary Ann;

The longest we have been away is 1 month. We used to have a neighbor pick up the mail every day, and one of my kids would stop by once a week, pick the mail up from her and check things in the house. To make it easier, we just have the post office hold our mail and pick it up when we get home. I think they will only do that for 30 days though.

As far as the dog goes.....

We have tags on their collars with our my name and cell phone number on it. We also keep a copy of their vet records in a folder in the BF. MAke sure you have enough heart worm and flea/tick treatment if you use it. I also bring enough food for the entire trip since they are on a premium food that is not available in most chain pet stores. We and the dogs only drink bottled water when travelling also. I have a list of human meds that can be given to pets in an emergency, and I also work in a vet's office so they are only a phone call away if needed. In all our years of travelling with dogs we have never had one get sick, or attempt to run away. Maybe because we are so well prepared:)

Good luck and enjoy the trip.

John
Dallas Baillio

Alaskan Caravan

Post by Dallas Baillio »

In 2004 we made a trip of 7 weeks to Alaska. Months before we left we made arrangements to have every possible monthly bill automatically deducted from our checking account, or charged to a credit card and that credit card bill was then deducted from our checking account. Our mail was held for the max of thirty days at the post office, and our daughter picked it up and let us know of any mail that needed attention. Since we knew we would be gone for over 30 days, we completed a second mail hold request for an additional 30 days and left it with our daughter to drop at the post office. I think the post office staff gave us a break here as postal regulations probably do not allow this. We took three dogs along on this trip. I agree with carrying all records with you. Our vet provided a health certificate that he completed, after examing all the dogs just before we departed. It certified they all had been vacinated for rabies, etc and were in good health. He signed and dated it. When we showed this at border crossing that was all they wanted to see. Be sure to take several photos of your pet(s). If they are lost you have something to post in the campground, or to show people you ask for help or information. We also had our vet date and sign the back of a photo to identify each dog relative to that dogs shot records. We thought we might be questioned as to which dog was which if a problem arose. The big problems we did face was ticks. In Nebraska at a state park our dogs acquired a bunch and we were picking ticks from them, but mostly from the furniture and from us, since they had been treated to repel ticks!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Be sure to check the US Border Patrol website for regulations on re-entering the US. There are requirements about bringing in meat that pertain to dog food etc. While it is not required yet, a US passport is a good ID for reentering. We carry ours with us whenever we go to Canada.
Mary Ann

Alaskan Trip

Post by Mary Ann »

Thanks to all for your replies. I don't have any family members to help with mail. Most of my bills are set to be automatically deducted from my bank account, but AMEX which will not do that. My dog's shot records are always kept in the BF, although I've yet to be asked for it. I plan to take my Passport and believe one needs it to re-enter the US now.
Would still like to hear if anyone has used a mail forwarding Service, like the ones advertised in some of the Motorhome magazines. Thanks again for the replies. It is wonderful to have our website and help one another.
Mary Ann
KTnLen

Re: Alaskan Trip

Post by KTnLen »

Mary Ann wrote: ... Would still like to hear if anyone has used a mail forwarding Service, like the ones advertised in some of the Motorhome magazines. Mary Ann
If you are a member of FMCA, you can sign up for mail forwarding service. The rules are that the period of forwarding must be at least two months, you set up a postage line of credit of $50, and apply at least two weeks prior to travel. We haven't used it, but met a couple who did and said it worked well for them. Len C sends.
lassen

Post by lassen »

Mary Ann....We went up in 1999 for nine wks. I used Priority Flat Rate envelopes addressed to me % General Delivery and provided the stamps. I would pick a town in an area where we would be in about a week, call my person collecting our mail and have them fill in the town and zip code. I think the post office will hold it at that location for thirty days and if not claimed will return to sender. Make sure its to a USPO and not Canada.

Jack.....
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
Hike

Trip

Post by Hike »

Mary Ann, I am going on that trip too and am really excited about it. I live in my RV so I already have my mail sent to a PMB at a Postal Annex store. They will hold it for me and send it to where ever I ask them to. Currently I work full time so I am not traveling and pick up my mail several times a week. I was concerned about knowing where we will be at a certain time to have the mail sent there. I have all regular bills payed automatically so I am not sure if I will even have them ship it to me. Magazines and junk can wait until I get back.
shilohdad

Alaskan Trip

Post by shilohdad »

Mary Ann, you don't say whether or not you carry a laptop computer with you. If you do, whenever you get to a place with internet access, you could log into your AMEX account and check and pay your bill that way. We have never been to Alaska, but typically spend 2-3 months traveling each RVing season. We would be lost without our laptop! Even if you don't have a laptop, you will probably find places in the major Alaskan cities where you can use a computer to access your AMEX account and do the same thing.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Alaskan Caravan

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Almost every public library now have computers with Internet access. I think this is true of Canada as well. Often you can access your e-mail as well, usually if you have a paid account and not free e-mail. Reason, libraries have been troubled by viruses downloaded as attachments.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Hi, Mary Ann. We went to Alaska last spring with our 2 dogs. I have to ditto the previous response regarding ticks. We had a big problem in Montana. Supposedly, there are no ticks or fleas in Alaska but there sure are mosquitoes!! So have the heartworm and tick preventatives. Also, we ran out of our premium dog food that we order online but had no problem finding an acceptable substitute in Fairbanks at a specialty store. The photos of the dogs are a great idea and we will do that! Our tiny post office in northern MI holds our mail forever and we pay our bills online. It works and it is not that difficult to find campgrounds with wifi or a modem. We frequently are gone for at least a month and haven't had a problem with bill paying online with our laptop. We also check our home voicemail when we think about it. Have a great time - I wish we could go again this year. It is a truly wonderful trip. We have kids in Fairbanks and have to fly this year (yawn) but may do the trek again from MI next year. Getting there is more than half of the experience! Let us know how it goes.

Judy Harris
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

Hi Mary Ann, How's my Sasha girl doing? Very excited for you two to do this trip!

We have just started traveling for several weeks at a time with our three standards and plan a two month trip out west in April. Along with everything listed above, I too carry "human" meds that work for dogs. I am carrying buffered aspirin, hydrogen peroxide for wound cleaning. I also carry anti-itch spray (we've had issues with mosquitos ) and a small bottle of herbal flea shampoo that our groomer uses to calm down itches if we get desperate and can't stop at a grooming shop. We carry ear infection medication from our vet. I will also be disucssing whether or not we should carry any antibiotic. We won't be out of reach of civilization or traveling with other coaches on a schedule, so if we need to stop for a day to deal with medical issues we can. But if we were traveling with others to Alaska where vet care might not be around every corner and you have a schedule to keep, I would want to be prepared. I've got a book on doggie first aid that I would carry also and it lists many human over-the-counter meds you can use on dogs.

One piece of equiment we have started to use is a 10 foot tie-out-chain. We attach one end to a picnic table or something on the coach, and can then sit outside with the dogs without having to actually hold the leash. We never leave the dogs without us being outside with them, but it frees up both hands in case the cocktail glass is heavy. :lol:

We are currently in the Big Bend National Park area about 80 miles from the nearest vet. I knew one of my girls wasn't "herself" for a couple of days and yesterday morning my mother's intuition kicked in and I told Greg we needed to spend the day driving to that vet. Good thing I did! We got the temporary help we needed to tide us over until we get home for the extensive testing we will need that this remote outpost vet couldn't provide. Without treatment Raini could have faced serious consequences. And if we have more serious trouble, this country vet is on call for us 24/7. You just never know when something will happen. That said, we would definitely make the Alaskan trip with the dogs if and when opportunity knocks.

You Go Girls!!!
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Linda, I sure hope your furgirl is okay. We had a weird exprience with one of our dogs that I would like to share. We were visiting our son and babysitting our grandchildren when one of our dogs started coughing. We took him to a local vet and the best diagnosis is kennel cough, even though he had not been around other dogs and was vaccinated. It seems that the vaccination only lessens the symptoms but doesn't stop the virus and the dogs can pick it up anywhere. So, even though my little guys have some immune issues, I am vaccinating them and am always on the look out for vets when we travel. My local vet is helpful and when we were desperate a year ago in Utah, the local library in Kanab, Utah, found us a good vet who picked a burr out of an ear that could have been fatal. Mommy's intuition. Take care and travel well.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Get the USDA Pet health certificate from your vet. It's only good for 30 days but for dogs, they aren't so picky.

Birds are another issue.

Dogs are easy, but get the certificate. They will want it at the major (lower 48) border crossings. I wouldn't even think of crossing the Canadian border without one. Alaska/Canada, not much of a problem. But Canada/lower 48, they are more particular.

Actually, you can google Canada Travel regulations and they will tell you everything you want to know for going into canada. Most folks had the health certificate and that was all they needed.

Otherwise, the trip is great. I had a friend do my mail.

Not very many libraries in Canda north of the main highways. Whitehorse will be your last library (and only one) in Yukon Territories. main towns will have them, but there are a whole lot of middle-of-nowhere places that don't have libraries (or anything else).

always get gas when you have the opportunity.

Enjoy your trip.

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”