Alaskan Trip

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

robert newby

Post by robert newby »

we will be making our 4th trip to Alaska this year -- starting in mid May -- will consider having others along with us - if interested contact me -- Bob Newby
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

I've been thinking about an extended trip to Alaska and also started wondering about the mail forwarding question you had asked about. The USPS has a forwarding system in place now. There's an $10 application fee and then $10.40 per week to ship all your mail one time per week to your designated post office. The minimum time is two weeks and maximum is one year. Just check their web site under "USPS" and look for mail forwarding. You can't do it over the net but you can get all the info there.
Guy Carter

Milepost Guide

Post by Guy Carter »

I don't know if you'll be supplied a "Milepost". If not, it is the best information on Alaska and highways in and getting to Alaska that there is. If you study this, there won't be any surprises along the way. I believe that it is 24.95 plus shipping. Worth every penny!
John S.

Post by John S. »

Dave&JanPotter wrote:Be sure to check the US Border Patrol website for regulations on re-entering the US. There are requirements about bringing in meat that pertain to dog food etc. While it is not required yet, a US passport is a good ID for reentering. We carry ours with us whenever we go to Canada.
I believe that they have just started requiring them effective this month or next but well before the Alaska trip. So you will need your passport and a current rabies certification for the pup.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Hi Trish, Thanks for your reply and info. I hope your bird is still okay. Assume it is, since you knew the problems traveling with birds. Did you go to Alaska last year? I am excited to go this year with John and all Born Free Rigs. Hope to see you at Homecoming in Humbolt.
Mary Ann
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I promise not to steal you keys, Mary Ann! <grin>

Magellan is fantastic and is happy you asked. He's sleeping now. He made it just fine and wants to go again. I won't be buying a new rig this year so I am afraid that I can't go on this BF trip.

I am going on the Gunnison Colorado rally this year and will spend more time int he Colorado area this summer, I think.

I have to look...the homecoming must be right before the trip to Alaska? I'd love to show you some of my photos. It was a fantastic trip.

But Judy, all those horror stories about mosquitos...well...I must say, I was truly disappointed. I did not have a single issue with mosquitos (they don't like rain and it rained nearly the last half of our trip last year) but even before that. I did not see any mosquitos until we were nearly back home, and got attacked at the Minnesota, North Dakota border. They're WAY worse here than they were in AK last year! I hope this year is different for you. WE've arleady had our first hatch start and I've seen a half dozen the other day. They're back.....

Alaska still has to prove to me that it has a mosquito problem :) *I bet they're really nasty in early spring when they first hatch. I've heard they can make entire caribou herds bolt and stampede. So I never really want to find out.

Great to see you MaryAnn and I hope you have a divine trip! Which rig are you buying?

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”